39. A Grey Area

Naomi opened her eyes on the cold, metal operating table. The first thing she noticed was that she was in her underwear. Then, she saw a stitched-up line running across her abdomen.

Grayson Lee sat beside her, gently caressing her cheek. "I hope you enjoyed our evening last night. I took the liberty of making some last-minute modifications...to help you in your quest. How do you feel, Naomi? Are you prepared to start your journey?"

Naomi stared up at Grayson with perplexed eyes, but nodded softly. The past few weeks in the chamber down below had been eye-opening, but they had made her restless. She was more than proficient with her abilities now, and anxious to put them to use.

"Good," Grayson replied. "And you remember your directions?"

Naomi nodded again. As she looked around, she realized she was in Grayson's office. A bloodied tray lined with medical implements stood next to them. He's helping you, a voice whispered to her. He's making you stronger.

"Yes. You can trust me," Naomi said, moving closer to him. She wrapped her arms around his back, moving her head up to his. "But before I leave..."

Grayson's face faltered, but then he bent forward, locking his lips with hers. Naomi's mouth tasted sour. She repulsed him, and he only kissed her for five seconds before pulling back.

"You will get your true reward when you return." Grayson winked. "Once you're ready, I'll open the portal to Sagacia. Then, your journey will begin. Remember, Naomi: God is our shepherd."

Naomi took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Once she had killed the demonic boy and returned, she and Grayson would be together.

"Yes, Grayson. I'll be back soon."

*

Frank raced through the yard behind the Valley Construction office, weaving left and right through the equipment as best he could with his middle-aged bones. It was just like that night in the desert, when every second felt like a decade.

Here I am, running again. When is it going to end?

Over the past few months, he'd gotten used to the constant terror, and as time went on, he became better and better at convincing himself that everything would be okay in the end – but now, it all come crashing down. Part of him wanted to simply turn around and wait, so that he could relax at last and slip away into whatever was waiting for him, but the faces of his wife and daughter resonated in his mind. He lived for them, worked for their well-being. Frank knew he had to keep this from reaching them. No matter how much he suffered, he had to protect them.

Frank's thoughts fell from his mind as he went propelling forward into a pile of boards. He hadn't felt anything, but his back ached, and he couldn't bring himself to his feet.

"Caught ya." Cecilia smiled, standing in front of Frank's fallen body. "I had to calculate this one very carefully so that I didn't hit you too hard and crush you."

The words passed right over Frank's head. His mind was blank as he desperately forced his body to crawl away.

"Come on." Cecilia waved her hand, motioning for Frank to get up. "I'm taking you to Grayson now."

Sirens went off in Frank's mind, and he shakily picked himself up. The crushed throat of Patrick Sherman flashed in his subconscious as he rolled to the right, diving behind a pile of lumber. Wood spilled off the pile, knocking him back down.

"What are you doing?" Cecilia asked in a disappointed tone of voice. "Grayson said I can't kill you, you know, so be careful."

Frank got to his knees again and jumped forward into a steady run, diving behind a metal shelf of wood.