56. Suspicion on the Eve of Assassination

Frank had known Edward a long time, and although their past life seemed like an alternate reality at this point, he felt as if they could trust each other with anything. That's why Frank felt so torn about keeping Phileas's secret from him. The doctor had more or less promised him that they wouldn't be hurt while they stayed there, and Frank really had no choice but to trust the cannibal at this point. Not only were they indebted him – now, they were also at his mercy.

And so, as they walked back through a spacious hall, heading to their rooms for the evening, Frank bid his friend a quiet goodnight.

"Phileas said there's some big tournament starting tomorrow," Edward said, "are you excited to go?"

"Yeah, I suppose." Frank shrugged.

Edward contemplated something for a moment, and then turned to go into his bedroom.

Frank flinched. "Is something wrong, Ed?"

"Oh..." Edward propped his door open and stopped. "Not really, I was just thinking. It feels like I'm farther away from my son more now than ever. I wish I could see him again."

"No worries, Ed," Frank said, focused on trying to relax his friend. "We'll be back home before you know it."

"See, now, I'm not sure that's the best idea," Edward said, with a sad laugh. "This seems to be a much safer place than Earth right now."

Frank was silent for a moment. He just couldn't think of anything to say without ruining everything. Ed's done so much for me. He deserves at least a day of peace before we're thrown back into danger again.

"Yeah. Maybe you're right. Let's just get some sleep."

"Good idea." Edward smiled hopefully, then disappeared into his bedroom.

*

"And you're 150% sure that you're prepared for your duties tomorrow?"

Roufas sat on the sofa in the Zodiacs' suite room across from Averyl, who had returned to a less-than-enthusiastic homecoming.

"I can't believe you're making me work with him," Mephistoclessia rasped.

"It shall be fun, methinks!" Saffron shouted, as he polished his sword.

"Oh, I'm ready. Aand I hear that you and the others will have your hands full tomorrow," Averyl said to Roufas. "I envy you. I wouldn't mind getting a shot at the one they call Azuka...she's quite a rarity."

"We will be very busy, indeed, which is why it is imperative that you all take care of things on your end, so that we can secure the clock when the time comes."

"Mmm." Averyl nodded slowly. "It will be an honor, Mr. Ernst."

"Yeah, thanks for letting me enter, Roufas," Winslow said, taking his eyes off the TV for a moment. "I won't let you down!"

Roufas nodded curtly. "We're going to start the Group A meeting now. Feel free to join us if you want, although I'll be sending your teammates back to their rooms."

"Thy offer graces me...but further preparation doth beckon my comrades," Saffron said, running his hand down one of the blades. "Doth it not, Rosencrantz?"

"Very well." The violinist excused himself to the neighboring room. Waiting inside were all the other Zodiacs in Group A: Bruce, Rose, Zhang Guo, Cecilia, Grayson, and Van Kaen.

"That makes seven," Grayson said. "Now, all the Zodiacs have congregated, with the exception of the traitor Madeleine. Tomorrow, you are to lead each of the four captains out from the tournament complex, isolate them, then kill them without hesitation."