77. Souls Without Bodies

"God is almighty," Zeigfried declared, "and his will shall always be done."

Ravi stood on the ground, staring across to Kamo, who lay crumpled in a pool of his own blood. The potent psynergy that had once cloaked Ravi was now gone, along with her wings, and she'd reverted to her original form. Across from her, Azuka stood still in the center of the highway, eyes locked on her manipulator.

"Come on, Azuka!" Bruce shouted at the Knight. "Kick that guy's ass!"

"Unthinkable," Zeigfried cut in. "Azuka will not raise a finger against me, will you, Azuka? You're too smart. Too God-fearing. And...you have too much on the line."

Hearing this, Ravi and Kamo looked closer at their ally, studying her hesitation. Her face remained frozen in anguish, and Ravi understood what was churning within the woman's mind.

"Terror, despair, guilt, responsibility...and that's probably not even half of everything you're feeling," Ravi ventured. "Maybe you even want to curl up and die. We understand, Azuka...but we're still on your side. We believe in you!"

"Just don't leave us hanging..." Kamo coughed out – but the mess of blonde hair and flowing white-and-red robes gave no response.

"Have you finished your last rites?" Zeigfried's cold voice crept out to the five. "As I said, it's futile...I gave you a chance at retribution, and you spat in my face. Now, you will repent for your sins!"

Zeigfried gazed down upon them from the sky, allowing clouds of vapor flow out along the abandoned highway.

"I wonder if you are all familiar with the element known as Manganese," Zeigfried said. "It's a fairly common mineral on any normal planet, and essential for good health...within small doses, that is."

The cloud thickened, surrounding the group as it took on a deep, maroon color. Ravi cast a panicked look to Kamo, who was still collapsed on the ground. A few steps away from him, Rose was struggling to support Bruce on her shoulders. Finally, left with no other choice, Ravi turned her eyes back to Azuka.

"Lo and behold: The Haze of Penitence," Zeigfried announced. "Absorbing Manganese from the earth into a highly-concentrated vapor is a simple task thanks to the power God has given me."

Maroon psynergy emanated from the cloud, spreading out as a nearly invisible mist. Ravi's psynergy barrier was still powerful enough to keep Zeigfried's might away, but she realized it didn't matter. Regardless of how strong her barrier was, she had to breathe, and no amount of psynergy could fix the air once it became fully contaminated with poison.

As if to assuage her fears, a whirling spire of psynergy exploded up from the ground and blew the poison up into the sky. As the smoke cleared, Ravispotted Captain Azuka Ingram glowing with an iridescent aura.

"You fool..." Zeigfried shook his head. "How could you give into such temptation? After all your hard work, all the times you've begged for my assistance...how could you do this?! Yamato will burn! Your father will die in vain! You–"

"Shut up," Azuka commanded. "I'm done listening to you."

Zeigfried frowned. "Then you too shall be judged."

Azuka nodded. "But I won't go quietly."

Saying that, the Knight took a flying leap into the air and attacked Zeigfried head-on. Not an ounce of fear resonated from her as she slashed outwards and bombarded the Apostle with a series of continuous sword strikes. Zeigfried dodged each and every one of them with finesse, but Azuka never let up. Kamo, Ravi, Bruce and Rose were astounded