NINE

Here I am in my freshly inherited restaurant and was busy watching how my chefs and staff work around here.

This week, I mostly stayed at the lobby where guests and customers come in.

I still feel mixed emotions about the fact that I am handling this business alone.

I miss dad and mom.

If only they were here, Dad would be thrilled to teach me the know-hows and what-nots of business.

I sighed.

"Miss Leni. Lunch na po. Ano po gusto nyong food? Kukuha ko na po kayo." Gracielle Roxas, one of the waitresses, approached me with a smile.

I was seated at the special corner for staff and crew at the far end of the restaurant.

I raised my eyes to meet hers and smiled.

"Oo nga pala. Ako na lang kukuha sa loob, thank you for reminding me, Gracie." I said and shut down my laptop for a moment.

I stood up and went inside my office and checked my phone.

When no messages nor missed calls appear, I shoved in into my pockets and went out.

I was greeted by smiles and bows from the staff who passed by me as I headed to the kitchen.

Chef Bryan smiled when he saw me and I waved in return.

He handed me a filet mignon which I gladly accepted.

I pulled out a pair of spoon and fork from the utensils rack and went to the juice dispenser for my fave orange juice.

As soon as i got the things I need, I sat on the chair and looked at the beautiful garnish made by our own chef.

I was enjoying my food when I noticed someone familiar.

I couldn't pinpoint where I saw him.

He has an athletic build and his eyes are a gorgeous pair of blue.

His eyes seem to pull me in that I almost stopped what I'm doing.

It's as if he notice me coz when our eyes met, he abruptly cleared his throat and casually talked with Chef Bryan.

"Oh! Before I forget, Miss Leni!" Chef Bryan approached me from the kitchen and the man silently followed him.

Soon, I came face to face with him and realized how deep his blue eyes were.

"Yes po, Chef?" I asked casually and subtly wiped the corners of my mouth, suddenly began to be conscious.

"This is my nephew, Xander Aragon. I heard we are in need of a good singer to add some spice in our restaurant." Chef Bryan said with a smile. "Maybe, you can hire him?"

It was my chance to look at Xander.

His eyebrows twitched in recognition of my face.

"Can you sing for me?" I blurted out but realized my words. "I- I mean, can you give us a sample?"

Xander chuckled and nodded.

His eyes searched our place and saw a mini-stage set at the far end of the restaurant.

On a laid-back Friday, this set-up was the most chill of them all.

Relaxed afternoons seem to be the best opportunity to attract some customers.

"May I?" Xander asked at me and I nodded.

As he walked towards the mini-stage, I immediately tried to finish my meal.

I don't want to appear so eager to hear him but, at the same time, I don't want to look so neglectful of my responsibilities as an heiress of this restaurant.

He seemed to be getting the attention of the ladies as he strutted to the stage.

I watched as he sat on a stool as he leveled on with the microphone.

Then he dropped his first few words.

Everything felt so new
Yet, every time I'm with you,
Everything just feels so true

Just like that, I felt the world stopped.

His voice was music to my ears.

And as a sucker for boy bands in the 90s like Boyzone, ooh, he just caught my eye! Frozen Ice is indeed one of my faves!

You made my world so bright.
Always there beside me,
Assuring me
that everything will be alright.

And every time
I looked into your eyes,
I just knew right then and there,
All will melt even the coldest ice.

I was stunned as he sang my favorite lines in the song.

I also found myself singing along with him and the audience.

He instantly became our restaurant's main attraction.

He indeed sang better in acapella!

I mean, I haven't seen him sang with accompaniment but his soothing husky voice is enough to send everyone in dreamland.

The audience was singing along and swaying their hands with it.

Obviously, the iconic song has everybody reminiscing the old good times.

He finished the song with one last smile at us.

The audience, most especially young adults like me, clapped and some whistled in response.

"Thank you!" Xander grinned and stood up from the stool.

I watched as he approached me with a smirk.

"Am I accepted?" He asked not breaking our eye contact.

And like a woman enthralled by him as if in trance, I nodded speechless.

"Yeah. You're hired." I said almost in a whisper.

🎶🎶🎶

Frozen Ice was a fictional name of a boyband I created. 😉

The song, Drawn To You, is originally composed by me and can be found in my poetry compilation, Songs For Lyrica.