ONE

"Good morning, world!" Masiglang bati ko sa mga kaibigan ko sa Facebook. I tried my hardest to smile amidst the past events.

It's been a while since I last updated my facebook status. Ang huli ay noong nahire ako sa company na gustong gusto ko. Since then, nagpakabusy ako at bihira na ding mag-online dahil palagi na akong knock out pagkauwi sa bahay.

Ngayong nakaleave lang ako nag-abalang icheck ang social media accounts ko.

At, in fairness, ang daming bagong chika.

Hideo Gustavo changed his relationship status to Married with Alana Montemayor-Gustavo.

Florence Kuvatswicjk attended the Paris Fashion Week with Louisse Hidalgo, Samantha Dregor and 2 others.

Akira Bonevachz is at Bar and Lounge with Justin Limuel and 4 others.

I rolled my eyes upon scrolling my  newsfeed.

Nakakainis yung mga taong lahat na lang ng nangyayari sa buhay, kailangan pang istatus. I still don't get what is it in social networks that gives satisfaction to the people engrosssd with it.

Was it approval? or their insecurities speaking for them?

Hay. Nako.

I was about to log out of my account when my eyes travelled to the recent news by a local channel.

Twenty seven people died in a car collision at Gilmore Avenue last Friday, September 13 at 5:00 in the afternoon.

My hand trembled and my phone dropped on the bed.

It's happening again. This time, more people died and I can't do anything about it.

I let out an irritated scream and cried in frustration.

Hindi pwedeng palaging ganito.

I cannot let this happen again.

But how?

I have lived all alone in my entire life. The impact wouldn't have been great if my parents were not involved in that tragic accident.

Yes. My parents, Josiah and Lynette Salcedo, the famous restaurateur and the renowned obstetrician-gynecologist are the persons inside the car driven by our chaffeur, Kuya Bentley Montano.

In broad daylight, the car they were in collided with a school bus who were on their way to a field trip in a museum with about eleven kids and their chaperones plus their teacher and driver. The police who checked on the incident found out that the driver lacked sleep and were dozing off which resulted to the collision.

It has been two months since their funeral but it made waves since both my parents are well-known in their respective industries.

My brother, Lorenzo Salcedo, who was in California that time, flew here to take care of dad's business after their funeral.

Feeling ko nga, umuwi lang sya para sa naiwang mana at hindi para makita sa huling sandali sila Dad.

"You need to grow up, sis. Hindi ko mahahandle ang restaurant naten ng mag-isa. I have my own family to take care of. You know that." Kuya Lorenzo said when he checked on me at our house.

I scoffed in disbelief. I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at him.

"Oh come on, kuya! You're after the mana, diba? Kayang kaya mo na yan!" I exclaimed. "I'm fine on my own. Sayo na yan."

"Stop being a brat, Leniah!" Kuya Lorenzo shouted in annoyance. "Pareho nateng alam na ikaw ang paboritong anak nila Dad at sayo nya ipinamana ang restaurant na yon!"

He's right. I, too, did not expect that I will be the sole successor of the said business. I always expected that Kuya will gracefully accept it since he was the one who studied business and my parents did not force me to do that for themselves.

My forehead creased hoping that it was a prank but no. The last will and testament were rightfully sitting on Attorney Samaniego's lap as he read to us their last will.

I sighed and spoke with hesitation.

"What should I do, Attorney? Am I supposed to resign in my current job?" I asked and crossed my fingers while my right hand enclosed it on my lap.

"Unfortunately, yes. You should know the ins and outs of the business. Masuwerte tayo at stable ang restaurant nyo. I'm afraid, hindi permanent ang ganong status. You have to work hard for it." Attorney Samaniego said and looked into my eyes.

I heaved out a deep breath. My heart collapsed knowing the ugly truth about my job.

"Fine. I'll arrange it with my boss. Will let you know the soonest possible time." I said, my voice breaking.

I could feel Kuya's eyes on me and I struggled to keep calm.

Attorney nodded and excused himself for a meeting with another client.
As soon as he was out of earshot, I stormed out of the living room and stomped to my room.

I sighed again, remembering that fateful day.

Yawning, I skimmed thru dad's books inside his office.

Originally, our restaurant, Ver, Oler, Probar was created by our grandparents who loved food as much as I love chocolates. It was handed down to our father, who upgraded it to the next level by introducing catering services into it, and then to me.

Honestly, I am torn on having to handle a thing as big as this.

So much responsibility is at stake. I'm afraid I will not be able to survive even just a day in it.

"Leni, iha! Kain na!" I heard Manang Estela shouted from the dining room.

Glancing at the clock in the office, I realized I was too engrossed in it and had forgotten my merienda. It was already eight in the evening.

I hadn't even noticed it took me almost a whole day inside the office.

I saw Kuya Drew, Manang Estela's son, sitting down at the dining table. Kuya Drew is a year younger than Kuya Lorenzo. About 28, I think?

"Oh, andyan ka na pala, anak. Tara na at maghapunan." Aling Estela said and placed the food on the table.

I could smell the aroma of my favorite sinigang na hipon filling the air.

"Ehem. Laway tumutulo." I heard Kuya Drew mumbled and started his food.

I raised an eyebrow at him and sat on the chair at the head of the table beside him.

"Excuse me?" I asked and glared at him.

"Juskong mga bata ito. Bawal mag-away sa harap ng hapag." Manang Estela scolded both of us as she sat down across her son. "Kain na tayo habang mainit pa ang sabaw. Tamang tama, malamig pa ang panahon ngayon."

With my mouth shut, I started eating and Kuya Drew continued with his food. We all ate in silence before we ended our day.