A love forgotten (2)

Third-person

Without realizing it, the night had broken and the morning sun peeked through the curtain. Its rays lit up the objects in their apartment making the place seem emptier than it ever has. The silence was defending and lonely. Jennie sat curled up on the couch. Her cheeks were drenched with tears. Her chest aching from the events of the night. She did not know how long she stayed there. She did not even remember moving from the ground to the couch. All she could think of was the memory of Lisa slamming the door and walking out of their seven-year marriage. She did not blame her though. After all, it was Jennie who had broken their wedding vows. And now there was no going back. Yet the ache in her heart left her paralyzed as she had no desire to move forward with a life that did not consist of Lisa.

As the hours ticked by, Jennie found herself self-locked away in her mistakes and her loss. The desire to remain hidden in the safety of the couch remained unmovable. She barely took in the noise from the streets outside her window. However, somewhere in the trance-like state, Jennie became aware of a hand snaking its way around her shoulder, and a voice, strained but present, calling out to her.

"Jennie. Jennie are you okay? What happened?" The voice grew stronger and stronger. Finally, Jennie turned her head to find herself staring into the eyes of her best friend.

"Jisoo?" Jennie asked through the fog in her mind, "What are you doing? How did you get in?" She stared in confusion at the stunning beauty in front of her.

Jisoo moved to help her sit up and took a seat next to her, her brows frown with worry throughout the motion. "A very drunk Lisa turned up by our house at three this morning. My wife was not very happy to see Lisa like that. It took Chaeyoung and me another three hours for her to finally tell us what happened. Oh Jennie, what did you do?"

If it was anyone else, they would have made Jennie feel ashamed for what she had done, and rightfully so, however, there was nothing but concern and sympathy in Jisoo's voice. This made it easier to for her words to escape her, though it did not help with the lump in her throat.

"I messed up Jisoo. Lisa found out and now she's gone. She left me." She grabbed on to Jisoo and cried a new fresh set of tears. The pain started all over again and he felt her body became numb from all things around her. All she wanted was for the ache in her chest to stop.

Jisoo sat with her for some time hold her in an embrace whispering soothing words of comfort to her. Once the cries came to a soft sob, Jisoo persuaded Jennie to join her in the kitchen while she made tea for both herself and Jennie. It was easier than Jisoo thought as Jennie seemed to go along with anything Jisoo would say. She was nothing but an empty shell.

With a steaming hot cup of tea in their hands, Jisoo came to sit next to Jennie by the kitchen counter. "Okay, tell when this all started. I got a whole day so take your time. I'm here."

Jennie closed her eyes and tried to get her thoughts in order. When at last she found her words, she took a deep breath as she tried to keep calm. "Two years ago I run into a friend from high school. It was years since we last saw each other and we started talking. I didn't tell Lisa anything at first because there was nothing to tell, he was just an old friend. Then one day when we were having lunch," she paused and took another deep breath. Her finger nervously wrapped around each other. "And he kissed me. He said he liked me since we were in school and even though he knew I was married he could not help himself any longer, he was too much in love with me to stop himself."

The words were becoming harder and harder to say. She did not understand why she felt this way. For two years she lived for those moments with him and now all of a sudden, she could not endure the feelings they brought with them.