Anniversary

As millions of stars shone brightly above them, Jennie stalked through the streets of the city with her arms crossed on her chest. Behind her, an anxious and regretful woman tried desperately to catch up to her. A chill filled the air all around them. The residents walked briskly to their destination, snug in a scarf or body length jackets. However, the evening's air was no match for the icy demeanor radiating from Jennie.

"Would you at least slow down? I swear, not even an Olympic runner can keep up with you when you get like this?" Struggling to breath, a tall elegantly dressed woman shouted from a few feet behind.

Upon hearing her words, Jennie stopped dead in her tracks, causing the other woman to almost run directly into her. "When I get like what?!" she demanded to know, "you mean when I'm hurt because the person I love doesn't want to spend time with me? Is that what you mean?"

Lisa shocked at her words. "What? No, that's not what I meant. I never said that. And of course I wanted to spend time with you.." however, before she could finish her sentence, Jennie threw her another verbal punch.

"Well you have a funny way of showing it. Thirty minutes! Thirty minutes I sat there waiting for you like some idiot. If I knew you cared so little about our anniversary, I would have never gotten my hopes up." The volume of Jennie's voice and the frustration she felt, grew with every word she spoke. A volcano of rage had erupted and she had no desire to hide it.

She turned back around and was about to walk off when Lisa grabbed her wrist and span her around.

Lisa winch at the intensity of Jennie's voice. Ignoring the stares of those around them, she continued to try and plead her case. "I know I was late. I tried to get here as fast as I could but my boss wouldn't let me leave. And then when I finally did get to come, I forgot my wallet and phone in the office so I couldn't call to tell you I was on my way. Please forgive me. I love you. You know I love you."

The fire in Jennie's eyes continued to blaze with force. "If you loved me you would not have been late for our anniversary dinner. You would have done everything you would to get here on time and not had me waiting for you."

Lisa signed in defeat. Jennie always had a stubborn streak about her, but this was too much. She was not willing to see her side. With anyone else, this would have made her even more determined to prove her point, however, when it came to the woman in front her, she had no strength or desire to fight. Her heart body and soul belonged to her and she was willing to do anything to keep a smile on her lips.

"I truly am sorry Jennie. I promise I'll make it up you." she glanced at her watched and back at her wife. She gently and slowly placed her arms around Jennie's waist and pulled the woman closer, "its only half ten. We still have the whole night remaining. What if you and I forgot about the restaurant. We could go back to our apartment; you could sit and watch your wonderful yet very sorry wife cook your favorite food and just enjoy each other's company. How does that sound?"

Lisa's heart rate increased as Jennie remained silent. With a blank facial expression, she had no way of knowing what was approaching. Inwardly, Lisa prayed her suggestion was enough to calm the storm.

Fortunately, in the blink of an eyes, a smile of pure joy found its way into Jennie's lips. Lisa took in a breath of relief as she saw how quickly her mood had changed.

"I want chicken alfredo," Jennie replied while she reached up and wrapped her arms around Lisa's neck.

"Okay." Lisa responded before giving her a peck on her soft red lips.

"With broccoli."

"Okay." Another kiss.

"And mushroom."