Chapter 26: Trials

Cake? Check.

A few more days passed by in which Ben and Robin spent their time with the wedding preparations. They asked the brides to think about the location while they enjoyed their mini journey to the wedding haven. It was the only break that they could take if they were going to pull this off within three months, possibly sooner. Eventually, they stopped to have lunch at their favourite restaurant - McDonald's. "So what character are you playing?" Robin asked him as they collected their orders and sat at their table. Ben looked at her wide-eyed because he couldn't answer it. "I'm kidding! I know that you cannot talk about it. I was messing with you because you got your way with the cake."

"Hey, I won fair and square."

"I know, but it is fun to see you....be yourself, I guess." She shrugged.

They had spent most of their time with each other and it was strange to see him not as one of his characters. She realised that that was why it was said that even professionals were humans themselves. "I can be a fun guy."

Robin laughed. "Yeah yeah."

They started talking about their favourites once again and were once again transported to the serenity of Amsterdam. They forgot about everyone else and just talked their hearts out again. "So, who is your favourite character in the series and who do you think I could play?" He asked her.

"Oh, um...." She thought about it. "Saira is literally the most relatable character that I've ever read and the Benefactor is a really cool villain. He is a nutcase, I'm not going to lie, but I understand his point of view as well. So," She shrugged. "I guess it is Miles in a way."

Ben gaped at her. "Miles?"

"Yeah! I mean, he is hated way too much for no reason. Dude was only a teengaer when everything happened. But my favourite character is in the duology. That part of the fandom is more of a fandom."

"You find the First War toxic?" That was the name of the fanbase of the Shadowverse.

"In a way. I'm not going to explain more about it but," she chuckled. "Just be prepared for getting tagged in posts once they officially announce this. You might want to keep bleach ready to wash your eyes from the content that people will tag you in."

Ben sighed. "Thank you for the warning, I guess."

"Anytime, Drida." She quoted a line from the book. "And to answer your other question, I think that you...." Her voice trailed out because she didn't know what character she could imagine him playing. She could only see Ben in front of her. "I don't know."

Ben was clearly amused by that because she could never have guessed that character that he was going to be playing. He had only acted as the morally-gray character twice before but he knew that people couldn't see him playing the villain. He mentally made a note of what she meant about the Benefactor being a nutcase because that was who he was playing....and he couldn't wait to see her reaction when she found out.

"What?" She asked him, when she saw him looking at her keenly.

"Nothing." He gave out a shaky laugh. "I got that reaction from my Mom as well. She doesn't know the character I'm playing either. Only Karen knows, but she can take a secret to the grave. She never reveals the role until I'm absolutely certain that I would want to take it. She likes keeping it special."

"She wouldn't have to keep it a secret for long." Robin crossed her fingers. "Hopefully."

"It is fun to shoot it though. I am getting to work with brilliant talents. The casting got confirmed and we started filming immediately. They are so amazing and kind. It's great to be with people that I can relate to and who are actually perfect as their characters."

Robin scoffed playfully. "Tease."

"Sorry." He zipped his mouth. "I'm just really excited about it."

"As you should be. And I'm excited to watch it. I'm sure it is going to be glorious!"

"I hope so." Ben's phone rang and broke their next conversation. He picked it up and rested it on his shoulder, holding it and balancing it there with his face. "I'm on my way, thank you."

"Is everything okay?" Robin asked after he cut the call.

"I'm so sorry. That was the suit." They had an unspoken pact where they wouldn't mention the shop's name; only the item on the checklist, because they wanted it to be a surprise. "The suit is ready and they want me to try it out for alterations."

"I'll call Karen about the dress. They wanted her to try it out as well. Paige's is done. I've handled her label."

The two made their way to Ben's shop first. Robin didn't find it strange when the smell of good perfume and leather hit her as she walked through the front door. She had been to enough tailors with her brother to know the value of a good suit. "Ah, Benjamin-san!" The shopkeeper, an old man in his sixties, shook hands with Ben.

"How are you, Mr. Tanaka?"

"I'm great, young man. How are you today?" He asked. His gaze fell on Robin and he grew intrigued. Ben Summers had never walked into his shop with someone before. This was certainly an interesting turn of events. "And who is this beautiful lady?"

"Oh." Ben smiled as he turned to Robin. "This is my friend, Robin. Karen-san is marrying her friend, Paige." He explained later that Mr. Tanaka called the people that he considered his family that way. It was more personal, he felt.

"It is nice to meet you." Robin said as she shook hands with him.

"I never thought this day would come!" He exclaimed, making Ben frown. "Benny has finally brought someone to this shop."

"Oh come on, padre."

"I'm not complaining, boy. You can bring her here any time. Something to brighten up the day."

Robin pulled back her hair and called Karen about the trial while Ben was trying his suit on. "I'm so sorry, Robin. But I'm stuck here and I don't think I will be able to make it." She said, stuck up with the agency about the change in protocols about the functioning.

"Are you sure? Paige's dress has been checked in. They need your confirmation by tomorrow, but you have the cultural meeting."

"I hate being such a pain but I really cannot come now." She said, and looking at her reflection in the glass in front of her, a thought struck her. "Hey, I have an idea. Why don't you try it? It would be of great help!"

"Me?" Robin's eyebrows were instantly reaching her hairline. She thought about it and had to agree. Nobody can deny the bride anything, right? "You got it."

Ben walked out of the dressing room and stood in front of the mirror in the corner. "I love it!" He told Mr. Tanaka.

"Of course you do! I made it myself."

"I can see it. Or, feel it." He laughed as he checked the cuffs for comfortability. "Robin?" He turned around. "How is the suit?"

"It's great! Wow.: She inhaled deeply. "Mr. Tanaka, you have a brilliant eye." The suit was absolutely perfect. It was a navy blue Burberry suit with a black tie. It suited Ben perfectly.

"Thank you, dear." He bowed down to her and then looked at Ben. "Learn something from her."

Robin couldn't hold back her laughter. "I will," answered Ben and rolled his eyes when the tailor turned away. "What happened?" He asked her.

"Karen can't make it. But we need to confirm the dress by tomorrow."

"So what are we going to do?"

Robin took a deep breath. The thought of what she was about to do next was painful. "I guess I will have to try it."