Chapter 29: Drinks

The farmhouse was located away from the main road and it took around ten minutes for Robin and Ben to drive to the bar that their eyes caught on the way. It was a place that gave anyone cowboy vibes for the interior was the definition of cool. It wasn't crowded but just by looking at it, you knew that it was many people's "the spot". It was the only structure in the countryside road that would invite people to come inside and have a good time.

Robin removed her leather jacket and folded it in between her hands as she walked inside. Ben searched for a table while she was looking at the menus over the bar. "I think we came at a busy time."

"Oh, that's alright. Do you mind sitting at the counter?" She asked, pointing to the almost empty counter before the bar.

"Not at all." He said with a smile, wondering how she had the answers to everything. "What is your drink?"

"Hot chocolate." He raised an eyebrow at her. "I don't drink."

"Any particular reason?"

She squinted her eyes and wondered how to tell him the truth. She knew there was no backing off then. She took a seat and he took the one beside her. She thought about how to put it into words because that was one of the reasons that she didn't let people into her life. She did not like talking about the past. "My parents died in a car crash." But the next few sentences were the truth that she was going to be telling someone after a really long time. "We were returning from my Mom's office party. She was a painter and she had secured a big deal." She smiled at how the whole house used to smell of metal and how the living room was filled with canvas boards. "The alcohol that they consumed somehow affected their metabolism in the half an hour that it generally took to travel." She put on a fake smile to not let herself tear up. It had happened so long ago, but getting over it would never happen. "Lincoln and I were in the backseat. We decided never to drink outside because we didn't want....we didn't...." She sighed.

Ben had tears in his eyes. He had never seen Robin so down. He wanted to pull her into a hug but all he did was hold her hand in support. "I'm so sorry."

She put on a strong face and a smile on her face just like she had for the past two decades. "Thank you." She said. "So, yeah. My drink is hot chocolate. What about you?"

He didn't want to press the topic but answered her question first. "Cold coffee. My Mum's, specifically. She makes it with broken ice, whatever that means." Robin laughed and his plan succeeded. "I don't know what she puts into it because no other cold coffee tastes like hers," he said. "Actually I'm heading back to L.A. for the weekend. I came in a hurry actually. I want to surprise Lee along with another cast member in the book convention that is being held."

"That's a great coincidence because I'm heading back as well! The dress that Paige ordered for me for the rehearsal dinner was mistakenly addressed to Lincoln. So I thought I'll go back and get it along with a gift that I had made long ago for her marriage."

"You made something?" He was impressed. "Wow, now my gift is going to get lost somewhere in the big pile because it won't be important."

"Oh. it's a very small thing but I need to make some final touches to it before I can wrap it up." She waved her hand down.

"Can I see it?"

"Sure." She nodded. "Why don't you come home for dinner one night? I'm sure my family would love to meet you. We love watching you on-screen."

"Only if you join my family. They would love to talk to you about your book," he said. "You should've heard my sister, Candice's reaction when I told her that Caleb was based on me. What do you mean he is based on you?" He imitated her.