Persevere - I

Dream is given the option to join the Pro-Omelette and the Eggpire. What will he do?

Italics are emphasis on words, thoughts, or the Egg's voice.

// suicide mention, violent imagery, self harm, torture, depressing thoughts, manipulation, body horror

(most of these are at the end, but the end is the best part). Written: Feb 26, 2021. Word count: 4.4k.

Burning curtains lifted and the wizened admin raised a burnt eyebrow.

He welcomed the cool air flooding in as his eyes flickered to the entrance. It was Puffy this time, standing nervously with the Warden and Antfro- a guard. The different palette of Puffy's clothing graced his dulled eyes. Never had he ever been so thankful for a color other than the grim black and purple obsidian, molten and warm-colored lava, gold black blue of the brittle clock, copper and brown of blood and the stoic tan of the lectern wood.

He went back to staring at his clock (it was one of his favorite things to do), listening to it's constant ticking and watching the hands inch millimeter and millimeter around. At first it was annoying, but he gradually got used to the constant noise.

The rushing and roaring of the lavafall, the unpredictable dripping of crying obsidian, the sploosh of the water when he falls into it, all a new constant in his new home.

He was sitting on the bumpy and hard-cut black glass, which was warm (much like everything else in his cell), his eyes tracking the line that was the hand of the fragile clock. The netherite railing pushed up against the floor, sliding smoothly up so he wouldn't be able to shove himself through when the platform came by.

His ears perked up when he heard not one but two sets of footsteps clip onto the stone brick moving bridge, finding after turning his head imperceptibly again that the Warden was also coming into his cell.

Why is the Warden also coming in? He went back to watching the clock, this time only pretending to do so. He focused on his sense of hearing, listening to the platform push itself towards his little island of a box.

The two were silent as they traversed the empty lake of lava, shuffling onto his cell with darting eyes. He kept his posture impassive, unmoving and undisturbed.

"Prisoner," the Warden called, staring guardedly at Dream. The netherite barrier lowered as as the curtain behind the hard material fell down again with a swoosh. Dream turned slowly to meet the gaze of his two visitors.

The Warden continued, "We- Captain Puffy has a proposal for you that I have approved of."

Puffy's hands were shaking, Dream noticed.

"What is it?" his voice was scratchy, and he suddenly felt tired. This could either improve his situation (if he took advantage of it correctly), or make it worse, but please, can they just get to the point?

The Warden began, "The server needs your help-"

Oh. So now they need my help. He chuckled, then waved at the frowning Warden to continue.

"The Egg is covering the server with red vines."

"And how's this my problem?" he retorted. If he could play this conversation correctly...

Puffy cut in, "Dream, it wants to mind control everyone. An Egg, for heck's sake!"

Oh. The thing Bad was talking about. Did it get worse?