an equal trade - TWO

Word count: 700.

"Why are we going to the main cell?" Punz finally questioned, eyeing the smoldering coals that spat from the lava tunnel behind them. Ant and Bad stepped out as he turned, following the Warden up a grand set of stairs of which had rich, dark brown splatters.

The walls were glistening molten gold, the black glass closing in on his breath, the Cimmerian stones under his feet polished and cold.

"Because we're detaining you." Crisp, short, none of the triumphance of victory left in his tone.

They reached the top, stepping into a compact room. He shielded his eyes against the magma, noting a keycard hole, a few levers, and a dull respawn bed.

"I think that the main cell would be a bit too much, honestly," they shrugged.

"It's only for a few days, you'll be fine."

The netherite chains binding his hands in front of him gleamed.

"...alright."

He wondered how long he'd have to stay in the hellhole- would it really be a few days? Was there even a clock in there?

"If things go well, you could be out of here before three days pass by," the Warden commented as he flicked a lever.

"That's good to know." Three days weren't too long, and Sap would probably figure that something was wrong if he was gone for too long. The ground rumbled, Punz glancing around the room in mild confusion and panic. Sam had no reaction though, so he swiftly recomposed his demeanor.

"That's only if things go well," Sam reminded, "But you'll be- you'll be safe. I have everything planned out- and you'd get a few diamond blocks too."

The lava was now dribbling down, blackish red sludge now.

Punz infused their voice with interest, "A plan to take down Dream?"

"Yes. Quackity should get here in a few hours for some... some questioning," the Warden deflected, "Now please, if you will stand in front of the lava." Quackity?

Punz glanced behind themself to find Bad and Ant with rather grim expressions.

"You'll be safe, Punz. I- we promise," Bad nodded, and the mercenary sighed.

"Alright Badboyhalo," Punz stepped forth, "If anything terrible happens, I'm blaming you."

"No- wait!" Bad protested, but Punz was already on the soot and moss-covered stone brick and the lever was already flicked.

"Bad?" Punz grinned lightheartedly.

"Sam- you better keep him safe-!" Ant raised an eyebrow.

Even then, they'd take the blows as they come. They're strong.

"Of course."

They'll get their justice against Sam if things actually went wrong.

The platform continued jostling from under him.

They realized that Sam had said- three days. And only things went well.

But Quackity was visiting today . (Why the fuck was it Quackity and not Sam himself anyways? Why was Quackity even fucking doing about the Prison?!)

It'll be fine. Sam said- no, the Warden said that he wouldn't be hurt.

When should he trust a Warden's word? The man who literally as complete and utter fucking control over this box.

This was probably a mistake, Punz groaned. Too much power has been put in one man's hands.

The bridge jerked, dust billowing off as it shuddered to a stop.

They checked his new hotel room as they stepped over the edge from stone to the just as unforgiving obsidian: a bit unfurnished and rustic, if they had to say.

"If Dream hadn't escaped, this wouldn't have been necessary," Sam dipped his head, "Have fun. You probably won't get hurt anymore than you've already had."

Punz jolted.

"I trust you, Sam," he replied darkly, "But if something happens, my blade will have justice."

He had to get the threat in; if Sam was able to justify this in his own head, he'll have to know and respect and be able to deal with the consequences too.

"What good justice will you have if you're still imprisoned?" the Warden smirked back, then turned, his armor glinting amber to the returning lava's fulvous ambience. "But sleep assured. I'll make sure you won't get hurt. I'm not a monster."

A monster, unlike Dream, Punz noted as they turned back again to take a survey of the cell's contents.

The lava consumed the entrance- and exit, and he could hear the mossed platform sizzle within the roaring flames.