Back Home

Flashback: 1978

I step out of the car, the cool air hitting my face. I take my brothers hand, walking to the large house in front of us. My father knocks on the door. The lady who greets us smiles widely.

"Sarah! How great it is to see you." The lady exclaims, hugging my mother.

Mom laughs hugging the lady back. "It's good to see you too Ashlyn."

"Come in, come in." We fallow Ashlyn inside, being greeted by a lot of unfamiliar faces. I look down, heat rising to my cheeks. I'm very shy.

Ethan pulls me over to the other kids. A brown haired girl coming over to me, smiling brightly. "Hi! I'm Josette!" I smile slightly in response. "What's your name?"

"I'm Elysia" I answer her quietly.

"That's a pretty name! Wanna come play with us?"

My mom walks over and puts her hands on my shoulders. "She would love to." She pushes me forward a little, causing Josette to grab my hand and pull me towards a little boy. He looks a lot like her; brown hair and icy blue eyes.

"Elysia, this is my twin brother Kai! Kai, this is Elysia!" Kai smiles, earning one in return. We sit down and she hands me a paper and some crayons. I smile taking the green and start coloring some grass. "So tell us about yourself Ellie!"

I smile at the nickname and take a deep breath. "Well, I'm 5. I really like to paint and go exploring. I also have a twin, his name's Ethan." I answer shyly. "Sorry I'm really shy."

Kai laughs. "We can tell." That causes me to laugh as well, looking up at him.

"Well, Kai and I are 6! I like to play doctor and dress up."

I look at Kai curiously. "I like to draw." He says proudly. I giggle and he smiles.

***

I turn to Ethan and he sighs. "I'm so not ready to go back to Mystic Falls." I nod in agreement, focusing back on the road. We pass a sign that says "Welcome to Mystic Falls, Virginia".

We pull up to the Mystic Grill and head inside, taking a table. A blonde guy with blue eyes comes over to us. "I'm Matt and I will be your server today. What can I get for you?"

He smiles widely at us. "I'll take a burger and fries, she'll have a salad and lemonade." Ethan states. I nod in agreement. Matt writes it down and walks off to another table.

I turn to Ethan and he smiles widely. "Why are you so smiley now?" He shrugs and smiles once more. I roll my eyes and pull out my phone.

"Are you going to go meet up with your old friends?" He asks curiously.

I shrug. "Last I knew they were mad at me."

Matt comes back with our food. As we're eating I see a familiar blonde walk through the door. She looks around for a moment before her eyes meet mine.

She squeals and runs over to me, pulling me up and into a hug. "I missed you so much!" She says squeezing harder and harder, until I can't breathe.

"Caroline, I need to be able to breathe." She quickly pulls away smiling widely. I laugh as she sits down, Ethan looking at her with disgust.

"Sure. Join us." Ethan says rolling his eyes. Caroline sends him a sarcastic smile and turns back to me.

"Why didn't you let us know you were back?" I just shrug and steal one of Ethans fries. He gives me glare before raising to his feet and walking to the bar. "We need to throw a welcome home party!"

I turn towards her with wide eyes and quickly shake my head.

"Come on! We can invite everyone from school!" I sigh realising she won't let this go. She shows me puppy dog eyes, making me sigh once again.

"Fine." She claps her hand in excitement, grabbing her phone. "Where would we even have it?"

"Stefan and Damon's, obviously!" She shakes her head smiling. "Sent! Come on, let's get ready!" Before I can even say one word she grabs me and pulls me out the door. I guess Ethan's staying.

*Edited 06/21/22*