High School

Darkness.

That's all I can see.

The last thing I remember is arriving at the Forbes' house. Caroline and I were supposed to have a girls night with her mother.

I open my eyes, quickly closing them again due to the bright light hitting them.

After a moment my eyes adjust and I groan, my head aching. What happened?

I look up to see my arms tangled in a chain connected to the ceiling.

I take in my surroundings. The white and red walls, the trophy case, the lockers. I was in my old high school.

"Elle?"

My head snaps towards the angelic voice. I see Elena, chained up, exactly as I was.

"Elena! Are you okay?" I ask, letting my eyes run along her body for any signs of harm.

"I'm fine, are you?"

"I think so. Why are we here?"

"I don't know-" She starts to answer, but a voice cuts her off. A voice I know all too well.

"Oh good, you guys are finally awake." He says walking down the hallway.

"Why are we here, Kai?" Elena asks annoyed. He glances at us, then back to the trophy case.

"Plenty of restrooms, no flammable surfaces, and everyone's on winter break." He slightly turns to us, but goes back to staring at the trophies. "You know it's no wonder America got dumb while I was locked up. They're never in school."

I send him a glare as he turns back to the trophy case, bending over and inspecting one of the plaques.

He inhales smiling. "Is that you?" He asks turning to me. "Oh and there's Bonnie. You guys look so innocent, smiling like nothing bad could ever happen to you." He pauses for a quick moment. "Anyway, do you mind if I try to turn your blood into acid again?" He asks looking towards Elena.

"Again?" She asks raising a brow.

"Yeah that's uh- that's kinda how you got here in the first place. I was trying the whole acid blood thing and i think I burst a few important capillaries in your brain, 'cause you blacked out." He explains removing his jacket.

"Kai, you don't have to do this. Listen to me, you don't have to do this." Elena says, trying to stop him from whatever he was about to do. She starts screaming as he raises his hand.

He starts chanting quietly.

"Kai, stop! Her ring!" I say as Elenas daylight ring begins to melt. "Kai, you're melting her ring!"

His chanting picks up. "Kai, stop it!" Elena yells.

I take a deep breathe and pull on my restraints. Nothing happens. I do it again, but use more force. The chains rip out of the ceiling, causing electrical sparks to fly everywhere.

I run over to Elena and rip her chains off.We run off, soon making our way to the biology room. "No no no. No no." Elena repeats, running to the sink.

"Elena, we need to get out of here." I state grabbing her arm, but she shakes her head, mouth agape.

"M-my ring. How am I supposed to get out without my ring?" She asks a little too loudly.

I can hear Kai's footsteps in the distance.

"The tunnels. Come on." I grab her arm, dragging her to the door. Then Kai walks in.

"Take it that ring meant something to you? I never understood sentimental attachments to things, because that is so upsetting when you loose them." He walks closer, smirk only growing wider at the fear in our eyes.

I think quickly and take my daylight ring off, shoving my hand into the sun. I groan in agony, taking my hand away and turning to the gas faucet. I turn it on, a burst of flames sent Kai's way.

I grab Elenas hand and drag her out of the room. We go over to the school phone, quickly dialing Damon's number.

"Magic camp, how may I help you?" I hear from the other side of the phone.

Elena takes the phone from me. "Damon! Kai has Elle and I at the high school, we need your help."

"Woah, Elena-" Damon gets cut off when we hear a load bang. Elena slams the phone back on the wall.

We quickly turn to the door, opening it. I am met with Kai. Fear washes over me as I stumble backwards, falling to the ground.

He flicks his wrist, a table flipping over. "Really?" He mumbles aggravated, trying again.

Where's Elena?

Something else falls, causing me to spin around, trying to get back on my feet.

When I do, it all goes black.

***
January 6th, 1985

I grab my English 1 text book, shutting my locker. I turn around, only to be met with someones chest. The impact causes my stuff to scatter on the floor. I sigh and kneel down, picking up everything.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there." I say with out looking up.

I hear a slight chuckle. One I know all to well.

My head quickly snaps up. I instantly smile, standing up, quickly pulling him into a hug.

"Woah there, I've only been gone for a month." He says laughing, hugging me back.

"It was a long month." My reply being muffled by his chest. I pull away, grabbing my stuff that was still on the floor.

"If I knew you missed me that much I would've come back sooner." I laugh at his statement. He bends down and picks up my remaining papers and books.

"Oh shush, Malachai."

He gives me a playful glare. "I thought I told you to stop calling me that." He whines.

"You did. That doesn't mean I'll listen." I say laughing, causing him to roll his eyes.

"You never do."

*Edited 07/7/22*