Welcome Home

My hair is curled slightly and pulled back by a headband. I turn away from the mirror and smile towards Caroline, who's digging through her closet.

She pulls out two dresses, one dark green and the other a light pink. She squeals and hands me the green one. "We're gonna look so hot!" She states, stripping out of her jeans.

I look at the dress she handed me and smile. Everyone always told me I look the best in green. "Thank you." Caroline smiles nodding, walking over and helping me zip the dress up. She turns me to the mirror and smiles at my expression.

"Wow." Is all I can say.

"Wow indeed. Elle you look amazing!" I smile widely and grab my phone. I take a picture of us and send it to Ethan.

Ethan: 'wow sis, you girls look beautiful. Btw thanks for leaving me here.'

Me: 'thank you! Yeah, sorry about that..... Caroline was in a rush.'

I laugh and put my phone down.

***
April 12th 1981

I run through the woods, my dress dragging on the dirt. I hide behind a large oak tree and take much needed breathes. Running always was hard for me.

I hear a twig snap and I turn towards the noise. I peek out from behind the tree and see Jo looking around for me.

I giggle and turn back, my eyes meeting Kai's. I go to gasp, but his hand covers my mouth. He puts his finger to his mouth, giving me the sign to be quiet.

Kai grabs my hand and pulls me away from Jo, running down towards the river.

"Great, now we're trapped." I sigh and Kai starts taking his shoes off. "What are you doing?"

He smiles. "We're crossing the river." My eyes grow wide, but I agree. I take my shoes and socks off, lifting up my dress and hopping on a rock in the river. Kai helps me to the next one.

I see Jo walking towards the river so I grab Kai's hand and tug him behind another tree. "She's gonna find us!" I whisper yell at him.

"I have an idea, but you won't like it." I give him a confused look. He raises an eyebrow and holds out his hand. I sigh taking it, starting to see the familiar warm, orange glow form. I grow weak, so Kai stops and helps me stay up. "Thank you."

He says a small chant and smiles. "Come on." I look at him confused, once again, but he pulls us in front of Jo.

"Kai! What the heck!" He smiles as she just walks past us. "You cheater!" He laughs.

"Is it really cheating though?" I nod and he sighs chanting another spell. He grabs my hand and we go to the river once again. "Be quick."

We hop onto the rocks, my foot loosing its hold of the slippery solid. As I fall I grab Kai's arm, him falling into the water as well.

We start laughing, Jo soon finding us. "Finally! I've been looking for you guys everywhere!" She laughs as we stand up, soaking wet. "I win, you guys loose!"
***

Caroline hooks her arm in mine as we walk through the doors of the Salvatore house. My eyes go straight to the sandy brown haired man I have grown very fond of. He looks at me and smiles.

He puts his drink down then walks over to us. "Well don't you girls look beautiful." He compliments, giving us a smile. I return the smile and Caroline giggles.

"Not too bad yourself, Stefan."

Caroline let's go of my arm. "I'm gonna grab us a drink, be right back." She walks off, leaving me alone with Mr. Hero hair.

"So, how are you?" Stefan asks, pulling me out of the way as others walk through the door.

"I'm good. Ethan has been driving me crazy, but it's been good." He laughs. "How are you? How's Elena, Bonnie, Tyler?"

"Well why don't you ask them." He nods behind me, causing me to turn. I smile and run to my friends, bringing them into a tight hug.

"I missed you guys so much!" I yell, pulling away, but Elena still hangs on to me. I laugh and Tyler pulls her off.

"We missed you too, Elle." Tyler says laughing as well. I look at them and furrow my brows.

"Where's Bonnie?"

*Edited 06/21/22*