The Seals

the clock struck midnight.

the shadows moved flickering from the uncertain light of the torches.

The sentry didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

It was just another night.

Halt slipped quietly past the sentry on the  floor below the kings office in the keep. Was he meant to be here. no. did that ever stop him. no.

There was the simple way of just taking a letter from the mail coach and copying its seal or he could have just asked the king himself, it would have been easier but halt was halt and halt was a ranger.

Which was why he was evading sentrys, sneaking into araluens castle keep, into the kings office, and breaking about 17 laws. Halt was loving it.

He opened the door softly and closed it eaqually so. The second draw on the right side of the desk. 

This is way to easy he thought to himself he froze sensing something was going on.
He was right another shadow flicked across his perciphical vision.
Crowley, why the hell was he here?
He hadn't noticed him that was for sure as he continued to move quietly and what he considered stealthily.

Idiot

That is not how you steal something. He thought. Crowley always has been to honest much like halts new apprentice,gilan, he liked to try to keep a bit closer to the rulebook than halt. Halt allowed himself a soft smile. Yes, Gil abided the rules a bit too much must be the knight in him

Crowley slowly slid over to the giant desk and slipped his small throwing knife into the crack. Halt looked at his friend incredualsy he can't seriously be thinking that's going to work without leaving a mark!

Halt cleared his throat and Crowley jumped about a foot his small knife stayed balancing precariously in the small gap. Crowley let out a string of curses as his sharp eyes spied halt in the shadows.
"What are you doing here" Crowley hissed
"I could ask you the same thing"
Crowley went to reply but his knife chose that moment to fall piercing his boot. His eyes widened and squealed softly. Halt snickered. Man Crowley really needed to step up his game. He reviewed his statement, Crowley wouldn't be stepping properly for a while.
Recovering Crowley started to glare at his friend slightly ashamed of his reflex tears.
Halt decided to take a bit of pity on him after that and moved to offer his friend his shoulder who grasped it gratefully.

"What are you doing here?"
Halt demanded again helping his friend to sit down.
Crowley drew in a breath between his teeth before replying
"I just wanted to see how the king's security could be improved"
Halt blinked
"Seriously"
He sounded unimpressed Crowley thought he had spent ages working up this plan and halt didn't even sound like he cared actually less than that he sounded like he thought he was an idiot. It didn't occur to him that that was what he ah might actually be.
"Oh and what would you have done?"
"I'm maybe just tried to hire actual mercanary thieves that actually knew the basis of stealing"
"I can steal"
"Uh ha tell that to your foot"
Crowley winced he was never gonna live this one down!
"So why are you here then"
"I just needed to borrow something"
" Borrowing as in asking permission before taking with the promise of return? That borrowing"
"What other kind of borrowing is there"
Halt asked irratably. Crowley mimicked halts signature move and raised an eyebrow which annoyed halt even more.
"How about halts borrowing. When you take without asking or with a threat and don't return"
Halt glared at him
"Oh and when have I ever done that?"
"Temujui"
Crowley reined in his grin at halts obvious discomfort with his weapon now brought in to play he felt he had a better control over the situation.
"Oh shut up that was once! Once!"
"And the doughnuts"
"That's different!"
"Okay then what about Duncan's crown"
"That was a joke besides gilan was the one to drop it in the river"
"Sure it was, then what about when you took Duncan's mum ( I can't remember her name) teeth after she went to bed"
Halt went pink
"That one was an accident! It's not my fault she left them in a drinkable glass of water!"
"Okay fine then what was that you where borrowing this time"
"Duncan's seal"
Halt glared a challenge at his friend. Crowley wisely kept his mouth shut.
"Just pretend this never happened and croppers head stays out of your bed"
Crowley gulped.
"Fine but you owe me one!"
"No I don't"

Okay did you like it I just thought some younger days of Crowley and halt are needed and halt does have a sense of humour and it was a but more prominent I thought in his younger days so this revealed some of the fun. If you want a part two let me know I'll be happy to oblige:) please vote and comment I love to hear your thoughts!🏹🗡️🔪⚔️🦷🐴🍩🕯️💌✒️