prologue

The deep burgundy walls seemed to darken in shade the more Wooyoung looked at them, though the light seemed to seep in, reflecting off the copper trim to create rays upon the ceiling, it still seemed to only be a candle light in the midst of a power outage.

His feet tapped to the rhythm of his heart, fingers fidgeting out of nervousness, and breathing increasing.

This was it. His thrill.

His whole life he had been nothing but mundane, his motto in life was "better safe than sorry." because why would you risk pain and disappointment when you could be happy living life in the comfort of a safety net you called isolation.

While kids went off, sneaking into the community pool at midnight, stealing kisses on top of rooftops, and dancing recklessly in clubs they were definitely too young for, Wooyoung was at home.

He enjoyed loneliness, found peace in it even.

But it was time.

"Mr. Jung?" A voice echoed, the boy meeting the eyes of a woman, no older than her late forties, a bag held securely in her hand as her smile didn't seem to meet her eyes.

"I assume you are responsible enough to read the handbook on your own time?" She asked, handing over the bag to the curious boy as he nodded, hands pulling apart the top to take a peek into all of the belongings.

"A uniform?" He questions out loud after noticing the beige outfit that was folded neatly beside a large stack of books.

"All freshman are given a beige uniform prior to being inducted into a rank, you have until December to decide which ranking seems to fit you best, and then you will receive the proper uniform color along with the needs and resources the rank requires." Wooyoung swayed on his tippy toes as he nodded towards the woman, his hand gripping his bag as he took a bow and went about his way to the large building set aside for newly accepted freshman.

He noticed the others as he walked past, the deep shades of red, blue, green, and purple that shaded their uniform.

All boys of course.

Wonderland was indeed an all boys university, its sistering school being placed twenty miles up the road.

• • •

Wooyoung was curious, his silk pajamas laying comfortably over his body as he sat up in bed, glancing through the handbook, skimming through most of it and skipping past the obvious points.

As he got to the back, he noticed the welcoming notes from the dean herself.

Welcome to Wonderland, I can only hope that your time here will be most pleasant and rewarding. We are thrilled to be gaining such a wonderful crop of students this year, may you bring such high hopes and accomplishments as you settle in to one of our five ranks...

"Five?" Wooyoung whispered, remembering only four colors on his commute to his building.

Maybe he had just missed a color, or maybe they studied on the other side of campus.

The boy yawned as he placed the handbook to his side, letting his body rest well under the covers.

The calm before the storm. 

a/n
here are the ages in the book
so that you don't get confused!

wooyoung - 18 (1st year)

san - 20 (3rd year)

yunho - 20 (3rd year)

mingi - 20 (3rd year)

hongjoong - 21 (4th year)

jongho - 19 (2nd year)

yeosang - 20 (3rd year)

seonghwa - 21 (4th year)