Chapter VII: Negotiations

Poe

The ship groaned and whined as it lowered onto the ground. Thankful that Odhen had stuck the landing, Poe made his way to the cargo bay doors with Paige. Zeeke had offered to help Ton-Ton with making any repairs to the ship, he busied himself by running diagnostics while Odhen nursed a headache in an empty utility closet. Calista and her shadow, Mokk-Toh, were in the med bay with Watts, disconnecting the medical equipment so Koa would be ready for medical transport.

A small landing party of two –Connix and a medical specialist with several droids– were present to greet the Somnambulist and her passengers.

Poe stepped onto the tarmac, pausing for a moment to take a deep breath. The air was dry, hot. His nerves settling for the first time since he left. It was then that he noticed how much he yearned for a hot shower and sleep.

"Welcome back," Connix said curtly with her hands held behind her back.

"Lieutenant," Poe greeted her back.

Paige popped out from behind his shoulder and waved in greeting. Seeing her look so tired and less bright-eyed worried Poe, she seemed like a different person from the one who got stars in her eyes at the mere prospect of flying. It was daunting how much change could occur in less than 48 hours.

"We almost shot you out of the sky, you're lucky the General recognised this ships transponder call-sign, otherwise you'd be sparks right now," Connix said in jest. However, her smile faded in a flash when she brought herself to ask, "The Rose One?"

Poe shook his head. Paige simply kept her eyes straight ahead, blocking out Connix's words by fixating on something in the distance.

Connix understood, there was no need for words.

With an awkward shrug, Poe directed the medical specialist into the ship, "You better get in there doc. Got a wounded soldier in the med bay."

The medical specialist ushered a droid and a hover bed towards the ship, disappearing into the back of the Somnambulist.

"Pae-Pae!" Rose shouted from far off in the distance, her run was all swinging arms and small-spaced steps. It brought a smile to Paige's face as she darted to meet her sister halfway.

Connix shuffled on her feet, Poe could tell she was getting a little antsy from not having any data to analyse or communications to receive.

He stifled a yawn before running his hand over his scruff, "Listen, I'll leave you to do the pleasantries and the grand tour. I'm in desperate need of a shower."

Connix nodded with pursed lips and Poe took that as her begrudging way of letting him go off and do his own thing.

Halfway to his quarters, Poe had the wind knocked out of him when BB-8 collided into him with great velocity. Poe bent down to pat his little droid who beeped and shook with delight. An amused chuckle left his throat.

"I missed you too buddy," Poe smiled. "You been looking after Finn for me?"

BB-8 beeped proudly, head disappearing into his shell before popping back up playfully to whistle a high tune.

"Is that so, huh?" Poe scratched at the droids round midsection. "I'm glad you were here then."

Poe laughed as he stood up, BB-8 rolling happily beside him as he continued down to his quarters.

The steam from the shower was heavenly. Poe felt his muscles loosen as he rubbed the soot and grease from his scalp. His deflated and frizzy curls came to life from the hydrating waters. The ball joints of his ankles were sore from standing and no matter how many times he rolled them, the discomfort refused to abate.