Chapter Ten ≈ Pandora's Box ≈

I swiftly flipped through the lines of designer clothes hung up on the racks that stretched down the wall. The soft, delicate fabric that was probably worth a fortune felt like venom stinging my hands.

He's gotta be joking, right? My empty stomach was churning acid rain while I browsed through the open, walk-in closet.

One side consisted of varieties of brands in men's clothes, shoes, hats, accessories, while the other side was filled with expensive brands all in my size. The white shelves had golden stripes running down them with lights at the back, making the room glow. At the end of the closet, beside the shelf that was filled with a variety of footwear for every occasion, was another black glossy vanity table with a golden framed circle mirror. It hung in front of a box of white lights. A golden glass drawer was in the middle of the closet holding different types of accessories while light bulbs from golden rods hung over it.

I stood there wondering how much blood was shed in order for him to live this luxurious life? How many lives did he take to buy these clothes, to afford this house? He was living off of the pain of others, not even bothering to bat an eye to any guilt, like the guilt was never there to begin with.

I gazed blankly at the clothes. A shiver ran down my back imagining the piles of the lifeless bodies who were at his mercy on their last breath. I had to wear what his wrath had brought...the price of their blood was the cost of my future.

As much as I didn't want to accept any of these clothes, I couldn't really walk out of this house wearing these Pj's. People would already begin to question and that wasn't an option I was willing to choose. Pulling my phone from my pocket, I still had enough time to go to my apartment and grab my stuff. If I changed at home and took a couple of clothes, I could manage for a month. If I hurried, I could make it before school started.

I browsed through the closet, trying to find any decent clothes that didn't scream "detention" in this luxurious mess, finally digging up a pair of leggings and an oversized hoodie. I slid it on top of a mint-colored tank, which exposed a bit more of my full chest than I would have preferred.

I gave myself a little twirl in front of the floor-length mirror, accidentally slamming the heel of my foot into the bottom of the glass drawer.

"Ouch! Damit!" I grunted through my clenched teeth, feeling a small sting beginning to seep in as I hobbled around on my right foot.

Before I began cursing at the piece of furniture, the rim of the dresser flashed a vibrant green light, slowly revealing a small automatic drawer pushing outwards.

The long, thin opaque drawer had ceased to a stop. A night-black lid was on top of the drawer, sealing its secrets from the outside world. I knelt down on all fours, studying the silver passcode of numbers stuck to the left corner of the closed drawer.

Jackpot. The corners of my lip began to pull back, contentment of warmth filling inside of me. I found my lead, the evidence I needed to end this once and for all. The feeling of adrenaline pumped through my veins, feeding the rush that kept my blood rushing through my body, craving for more.

The airy sensation drowned me with delight, an emotion that felt foreign and unfamiliar after the past few weeks of an emotionally painful roller coaster. An explosion enlightened my brain... the good sort... the type that carries more possibilities than I could be conscious of. But there were hundreds of ideas there in that buzz of electricity... I could feel it. This drawer was the calling card of my freedom, of the paths that were awaiting me, the ones that I had thought were lost.

I go to touch the passcode but pull back knowing better, questioning if it could set off an alarm with the faintest touch. The lime screen of the passcode shone six lines waiting for the correct digits to be filled in. My mind was grinding with all the possibilities of combinations, eventually concluding that it was a one in a million chance that it would be the right one.