Chapter Four ≈ Checkmate ≈

I had always wanted my father dead. In fact, I couldn't think back to a day where I didn't. I wanted him to rot in hell. I thought I would always despise him till the last breath I took. But seeing him now made me regret every time I wanted to bury him alive in his grave with my own hands.

I slowly walked through the fresh pool of blood, bending down on my knees so I could meet his level. I held down on the spot where the gunshot was on his waist, making my dad wince from the sudden pain.

"Who told you to come! Don't you know how to mind your own business?!" His voice came out in a small grunt through his clenched teeth in my ears as he tried to sit up properly, seeing me beside him.

I scoffed in disbelief. Was he really yelling at me right now? Did he actually think I cared enough for him to walk into a death trap? If I was in my father's place right now, on the floor, bleeding to my death, in my father's enemies hands....he would have sprinted in the other direction, without even thinking of me. He would save himself... not even bothering to look back. Just like what he did to my mother.

He only loved himself and his money; no one could come in between... not even his one true love. But I was a different breed than my father. Even though he made me a monster, I still could never live with the guilt if I hadn't come to his rescue. It would have eaten me alive. I wasn't willing to have his death on my hands... I wasn't willing to become my father.

"Did you think I wanted to come here?" I questioned him, the frustration and anger lingered in my voice, "Don't worry, I still want you dead. But I'm not gonna let you slip away from me this way. We are going to get out of here, alive. You're just going to have to hold on tighter, for a little bit more."

I wiped the last bits of tears that fell from my eyes, feeling the wet blood smear on my cheeks. I looked down at my hands as a fear in the depths of my stomach began to emerge. The smell of the irony blood made me nauseous. My hands... it didn't look like they were mine but rather of a killer, I thought, seeing the blood smudged on them.

I closed my eyes and tried to swallow the last remains of fear that were inside me as I picked up my pistol and stood up, my back facing the two men that came here with me.

"Who did this?" My voice was a cold, shallow whisper that managed to even scare me,"ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION! WHO DID THIS TO HIM?!"

I turned around and pointed my pistol at them. The rage in me was uncontrollable like the flames in hell. I let the monster that my father created in me take over, feeling every blood cell vibrate inside my veins. 

≈ Flash back ≈

"Mama...I'm scared." I hug my knees closer, curling myself into a small ball as I scooch further back into the corner of my dark bedroom. I let my long hair drape around my face like a curtain, hiding my puffy eyes and runny nose as I sobbed in my hands.

I could feel mama's warm finger brush against my wet cheeks as she placed a strand of my hair behind my ears, comforting me.

"It's okay baby... it was just an accident. I'm sure you didn't mean it." She told me in her marmalade voice. What she didn't know was it wasn't an accident. I did it on purpose.

But I didn't mean to hurt Jisoo. It just happened before I even noticed, and that terrified me. That urge I felt, I couldn't control it, it was too powerful. It took over before I even noticed.

I stared into her sympathetic, warm eyes as my vision blurred in and out of focus from the hot tears. My eyebrows furrowed together in anger and confusion, not knowing why she looked at me like I was innocent and pure. Why did she treat me with so much love and care, acting like I was normal, ignoring the fact that I was a monstrosity.....