Chapter 6: Headline Grabbing

Chapter 6

Jason and Jeanne were preparing to make their way towards the Kadmon News Network building, they had to clean up after what happened earlier, Jeanne had still not heard from Arcanum or Alice, she was starting to become paranoid.

A few minutes later, they were ready.

Jeanne "Alright, lets go"

Jason nodded and they both made their way towards the building.

Jeanne "There will probably still be people working there, we might have to sneak our way in, I don't need her seeing me"

Jason "Hmm?"

Jeanne "My sister, she works there as a receptionist, she has no idea what I'm doing or what Rex is doing, and I prefer it stays that way"

Jason didn't say anything, he merely nodded and continued to walk.

When they finally got to the building, they saw that the receptionist area was quiet.

Jeanne "What the hell has happened here?"

When they went inside they saw a horrifying sight, the area was completely engulfed in flames, the bodies on the floor were completely melted with their skins bubbling, and at the receptionist table.

Jeanne "No.... Oh god no!"

Jeanne ran up to the body at the table, she immediately started crying.

Jeanne "Erica... Erica no..."

She then saw that an insignia was craved next to the body, Jeanne immediately became infuriated, she began to bash the desk with her hands.

Jeanne "I SWEAR TO GOD! WHEN I GET MY HANDS OF REX I'M GONNA-"

Jason "Listen, calm down"

Jeanne then pulled out a gun and pointed it at Jason.

Jeanne "Shut up! You don't know the type of person Rex is, the reason I wanna destroy him so bad, He is obsessed with becoming a devil, so much that he's butchered innocent people, he's corrupted this city to the point of no return. He's the most vile kind of creature. To top it off, that filthy scum... is now the reason my sister is dead!"

Jason "Trust me, I know what it's like"

Jeanne "NO YOU DON'T! what would you know about family? what do you know about losing loved ones? You're just a stone cold assassin! You don't care about anything of this! This is my fight. My city! This will end by my hand!"

Jeanne took a few deep breaths and eventually lowered her gun.

Jeanne "Just go, I don't need your help, just go back to Limbo"

Jeanne couldn't bear to look at Jason any longer, However Jason analysed the state Jeanne was in as he looked into her slate-blue eyes, Her silver hair was messy and fell to her shoulders, her face occupied cuts, bruises, a scarred nose, and a black eye, Jason was able to see her beautiful face behind this however, it was the first time he actually took a good look at Jeanne.

He didn't want to be a burden any longer, he then turned around and left the building, he thought he saw Jeanne trying to say something, however she just remained silent.

Jeanne turned away from the door and dried her eyes, she had to keep going.

She started to make her way to the top floor of the tower, that's where the Demon running the network should be, she just needed to kill it and it would soon be over.

Every step she took however, something keep telling her to go back, to go back to Jason.

She kept asking herself why? Jason was merely holding them back, he was just deadweight to her.