..Chapter 3 - Resenting the Rain..

As Janus had finished cooking the dinner that Remus had started, rain began to fall against the kitchen window. He loved the sound of rain normally, it was an excuse to stay inside and listen to his husband ramble about how beneficial the rain was in covering up evidence. Janus had never wondered where Remus got this information, assuming he just enjoyed learning about the macabre, now he had other ideas. The heart-shaped box sat heavy in his pocket and Janus knew if he ever saw his husband again, they were going to have a long and thoughtful talk.

Finishing up dinner, Janus put the leftovers in the fridge. He hadn't been able to eat very much but he had eaten enough to satisfy Patton. As long as his overprotective friend was satisfied, they could get down to business sooner. Janus drummed his fingers against the now empty table, adding to the cacophony of rain against his roof. Where was Patton?

It was about that time that his front door opened, causing Janus to shoot out of his chair, ready for anything. Well, anything other than a wet geriatric dog bounding towards him and attempting to tackle him with affection. The sight of Sugar made him relax a little bit. "Get off me mangy mutt," but as soon as the dog was no longer jumping on him, Janus began to stroke his head gently.

"You look like a drowned rat."

"And you look like a sad snake." Patton teased, closing the door behind him. "Though, I guess that makes sense considering the circumstances, hug?" He had walked closer, arms out for Janus to fall into.

And fall into he did, curling up against his friend all while muttering. "Never."

The two of them stood there for a bit, silently being with each other as the weight of the situation weighed on them until finally, Janus pulled away.

"We need to get to work." He would find his husband, no matter what it took.

"Right," Patton straightened up, dropping his arms from Janus's side. "I'll put the hot water on and you start telling me what happened."

Janus hissed out the events, obviously defensive and on edge as he recited every detail he could remember, it was like living through it all over again and he didn't know when he started shaking. His best friend and confidante at least had the decency to wait until Janus was done before pressing a mug of hot tea into his hands.

"I was hoping that the rain was just bad timing for us, but I don't think that's the case kiddo." Patton led Janus to the table before taking the seat opposite him. "I think that this was planned, down to the time of day and the weather forecast."

There was skepticism in Janus's raised eyebrow.

"You know how things are, give a person a task and they don't forums on the world around them, especially if that task is something like, making dinner for their family."

He was right, but the implications of that made Janus frown. "What are my chances of finding him?"

Patton was silent for much too long, looking down at his tea and swirling it. "Low, but not zero, there's always a reason to hope."

"Give it to me straight Patton,"

His friend snorted, "that's going to be hard," but Janus was obviously not amused. "Okay, okay, so the person you are going against is actually known as Logan Sanders."

"He gave me his real name?"

"As far as we know, but that cockiness comes with reason. The closest I ever got to him was... well..."

"Virgil."

"Yep," Patton popped the p, taking a sip of the calming liquid, refusing to meet Janus' eyes.

"Who refuses to talk about the past,"

"Also yep. He has been opening up to me a little more, it seems with the flower shop doing well he is beginning to relax a bit, but he still won't open up about a lot of things. I don't think we are going to get any information out of him, and he is my friend. I don't think I would want to try."

Janus groaned, letting his head fall to the table. Of course, he was fighting someone who had all of the advantages and the one card he had access to was mute on the subject. "I could torture him."

"I know that was a joke but that was in really poor taste." He could hear the pout in Patton's voice without even looking up.

"Yes, yes, I know, I'm just frustrated." He hadn't meant for it to come out almost as a shout, but he had, and Sugar was by his leg, sniffing at him gently. Janus reached down to pet the dog, allowing his mind to think and formulate a plan. "I should talk to him."

"What?"

"I.... He is where he is at because he wanted a better life, right?"

"Right..."

"That's what Remus wanted."

Patton fell silent and Janus finally turned to look at him, that's what they had all wanted at one point, and Virgil could sympathize with that, right? He was biting on his lip, not looking at Janus as he tried to think this through. "I... I guess..." he was hesitating, "I guess it's worth a shot. You were the one who helped me get him out of there."

Sitting back up Janus nodded, dusting off his suit jacket.

"Though I still insist you be careful with him."

"Of course, I wouldn't dream of being anything but kind to your child."

"He is kind of my kiddo, isn't he." That made Patton beam and Janus just rolled his eyes.

"You believe everyone is your kiddo."

"Well, that's because they are!"

Turning to look at the window again, Janus sighed.

"Don't worry DJ, we will get him back, no matter what it takes. I know how important he is to you."

"Thank you,"

"I'm going to give Virgil a text." Patton got up and patted Janus' shoulder, his phone already in his hand. Janus got up and pushed his chair back. He couldn't sit still, maybe he could take Sugar out for a walk, but the rain had made that nigh impossible. He was beginning to hate the rain.