..Chapter 11 - Somber Secrets..

The car was totaled. Patton knew that without even opening his eyes, but the airbags had gone off and he had been run off the road enough times to know that both of them would probably be okay. Despite that knowledge, he turned to look at Janus who had sworn on impact and completely woken up. He was still getting his bearings, but Patton could see the recognition filtering into his eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, but it seems like we got into a bit of trouble with that tree. I think it wants us to leaf it alone."

"Is now really time for puns?"

"You're well enough to complain about them, so that's a good sign."

"You were swerving a bit before you hit the tree, and you are normally a very good driver. Was someone... making their presence known?"

"You could say that." Patton took in a shaky breath. He didn't miss the days of high-speed chases and the curious feeling of being far too intune with your mortality. He didn't miss this feeling at all, maybe he should call up some people from his old job. He hadn't wanted to get anyone official involved, but he might have to. He didn't think this would stop until those out to hurt Janus and Remus were behind bars.

"Whoever it was, drove away after we hit the tree. They didn't even bother to check if we... well..."

"Yeah." As Janus attempted to get out of the car, he hissed, his body ached from the whiplash, but it could have been a lot worse.

"Shall we play rock paper scissors to see who needs to call in a favor?"

"About that, I think the best option is going to be to start with Virgil."

"He really wants to stay out of this."

"I know, but I messaged him while you were... while you were looking for Remus, and I think things are more severe than we thought."

Janus took in a shaky breath. Remus was an excellent strategist, he thought out of the box and could escape from most situations. Everything would be okay. It had to be.

"Do you really think he will want to drive all the way out here?"

"Probably not, but he might come pick us up from a motel tomorrow if we can call someone to come get us tonight."

A quick nod, "So you will call him and I will try to call a tow truck or cab?"

Patton gave him a sheepish smile before nodding, and they both got to work. As Janus attempted to focus on the role he had been given, he picked at his pants, the fibers of his gloves colliding against the fibers of his pants. It wasn't distracting enough. He needed something else to get his mind off of the dread.

'You won't always be able to rely on your wits Janny, sometimes you are going to need spontaneity!'

'That's what I have you for.'

He could hear the memory echoing in his mind, the way Remus stuck out his tongue, curled up in Janus's arms after a game of Gin Rummy. Janus liked to plan things out. He always had. A well-formed plan was always the best way to handle a situation; at least, that's what he believed. Remus had thought differently, and his husband had shown him the merit of spontaneity. If he was going to find Remus, he needed to stop scheming.

"Patton, see if he can come get us tonight."

"Are you sure?" He was covering up the speaker on his phone, looking at Janus with confusion. His face softened a little when Janus nodded, the confusion being replaced with concern.

"Did you hear that V?"

Janus closed his eyes, ignoring the pain in his body. It would be a while before Virgil could get here, even if he said yes, so once again, Janus was going to try to rest.

~~~~~~

By nature and history, Virgil was an anxious person. That was one of the many reasons he had needed out of the lifestyle he had been living before Patton. That wasn't the full reason, things were never that simple. If it had been up to Virgil he would have spent the rest of his life following the Don's orders, but... well... there was a reason you weren't supposed to mix love and business.

At his next opportunity, Virgil pulled over to the side of the road, the rain was finally beginning to slow so he didn't bother with an umbrella as he popped the trunk of his car, shuffling the mess in his trunk around, he opened up a compartment that was hidden in the sidewall, two items sitting in a plastic bag where they had been for years. He hesitated before pulling both out.

The first was a ring, a simple band with a single amethyst inlay. The second item was a phone. He took a shuddering breath before walking back to the driver's seat and plugging the phone in to charge. Was he really going to do this?

Did he have a choice?

There were certain lines you shouldn't cross.

When the phone finally booted up five minutes later, Virgil shakily opened it up and dialed the only number saved. He waited for the ring, waited for the other person to pick up. Finally, they did.

"Virgil, are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm safe, but... L... you need to stop this."

He could almost hear Logan stiffen on the other end, could see the way his fingers tightened around the pencil he undoubtedly had in his hand.

After a long pause, longer than Virgil would normally have been able to handle, his body reacted to the silence. His mind was racing and the words came blurting out before he realized he had been holding onto them. "You are hurting him."

There was another long pause of silence. Then, "I will not lose him too."

And the darkness in Logan's voice struck a chord deep in Virgil's heart. It was the sound of anguish and loss.

"You didn't have to lose me. And if you continue this, you'll lose him in the only way that matters."

If it were not for the soft sound of breathing on the other side of the receiver, Virgil would have thought the call dropped. Instead, he waited patiently, allowing Logan to process his words. He wasn't sure what he was hoping for out of this? A revelation? An apology? Whatever it was, he hadn't expected to be told to leave.

"Please don't use this phone unless you are in danger, it was only meant for your protection."

He squared his shoulders, tone becoming serious, "And who's protecting you, L? Who's keeping you safe? These aren't the actions of the man I was going to marry."

There was another pause, the quiet sent Virgil's heart racing, but not as much as Logan's next words. "I'm sorry. I love you, Virgil. Take care of yourself." Then the line went dead, and Virgil was left with nothing but a quiet car, the sound of the rain, and an engagement ring that was long overdue.

Virgil bit his lip, sliding on the ring before starting up the car.

Nothing was more important than family.