018; starting to like her

third person.

despite the small argument mollie had with her boyfriend, the following day she still agreed to go to an art museum with her mom, in hopes to build their bond a little more.

and so far, the pair had done more talking than actually looking around the museum, finding themselves deep into a conversation without an plan to actually bring it to a stop.

"i think my favourite fairytale is rapunzel," monica told mollie as she nodded, "i don't have a reason why, i just like the concept of it but tangled is a favourite disney movie of mine."

"well if we're basing them off disney movies then my favourite is peter pan," mollie replied, continuing their slow stroll around the building's while they both often glanced towards the pieces of work.

"any reason?"

"nope," she shook her head, "that's just the movie i like the most, i think maybe the meaning behind it is sweet but maybe also because i like to think i relate to it in some way, i don't know."

"what about.. do you have a favourite disney character?" monica asked her, a small smile stuck on her face as mollie shrugged.

"i like maleficent," the girl replied.

"who is she?"

"aurora's mother," mollie told her before she turned to face monica, "you haven't watched the films?"

"she's the villain isn't she?"

"yep," she nodded and smiled, "i like her personality."

"i like aladdin," monica said, watching her daughter pause before looking at her confused, "what?"

"why? i hated him." mollie frowned.

"what is there to hate about him?"

"i just didn't like him," mollie shook her head, "and he wasn't even prince material so i don't know why he tried so hard."

"because he wanted to marry the princess," monica replied, "did you watch the film?"

"yes once or twice," she nodded, "but i didn't like it that much, i prefer beauty and the beast."

"that's a good film," monica said, the pair turning the final corner to the museum before they stopped at one of the last pieces of work, the only one they stopped to full admire.

and as they examined it in silence, mollie's small smile eventually fell before she sighed and continued to make her way towards the exit of the building, with monica shortly following behind her.

"i was doing some thinking last night," monica spoke up, unlocking her car before the two got into it, "and i don't want you to think it's something you have to say yes to."

"okay..?" mollie replied, furrowing her eyebrows slightly before she put on her seatbelt.

"do you want to come to this ice skating rink with me this weekend?" she asked, "i know you used to do it and i know it's also summer but i thought it'd be nice..?"

"it's out of town," she continued, "so we'd be away for the weekend but i figured we could go ice skating and then maybe we can find some other things around where the rink is..?" the lady suggested, turning on her car engine.

"where would we be staying?"

"i have an apartment near there," she said, "i know that's probably confusing because i'm staying with your aunt but that's just so i can get to you and max easier."

"but i have an apartment, and it's also a week before your birthday so maybe it can be my birthday present to you?" monica continued, looking at her daughter while she nervously waited for a response.

"how long would i be away?" mollie asked.

"two nights, we can leave friday afternoon and i can have you back here by sunday morning," monica explained, pulling out of the parking lot to the museum, "it just gives us an opportunity to get closer, i thought it'd be something you-"

"i'll come." she nodded, interrupting monica before tucking her hair behind her ears, "yeah, it sounds fun."

"are you sure?"

"mhm, i haven't done ice skating in a while and it sounds like fun," mollie replied, "is your apartment nice?"

"i'd say so," monica gave her a smile, "i can set up the spare room for you but yeah, it's cosy and nice. if you think of anything we can do this weekend then let me know, i'm open to suggestions."

"maybe we could uh, maybe a picnic?" the girl suggested, turning her head towards monica before watching her nod.

"picnic sounds good."

"okay," mollie said, a smile growing on her face before she turned her head back towards the window.

after the short car journey back to mollie's house, monica pulled up by the driveway before she turned towards her daughter, watching her take her seatbelt off and grab her phone from the side pocket.

"i won't meet you thursday so i can get the apartment sorted but i'll see you friday, does that sound good?" monica explained, watching mollie reply with a nod.

"yeah, sounds fine." she smiled slightly, "thank you for this afternoon."

"do you want me to tell max our plans or are you going to?" she asked.

"uh, i can tell him." she said, "and then i'll text... do you want my number? just so you don't need to text max to communicate with me?"

"yeah, yes i'll have your number," monica nodded, handing the girl her phone before watching her add her number into the contacts app, "that makes things a lot easier."

"i'll tell max and then i'll text you." she said, handing her phone back before opening the car door, "okay, see you friday."

"i'll see you friday." monica smiled, watching the girl walk up the driveway before driving off just as mollie walked into her house.

and as she entered the house, closing the door behind her she walked over to the kitchen where max was stood, turning around as she sat by the island.

"where'd she take you?" max asked, taking a sip of his water.

"art museum," she replied, "um, i'm staying with her this weekend."

"oka- hm?"

"we're going to her apartment out of town, she wants to take me to this ice skating rink." mollie explained, "i'll be away friday night to sunday morning, she wanted to include it in my birthday present from her."

"out of town?" max frowned, "she has an apartment?"

"she didn't tell you that..?"

"no? i thought she's staying with our aunt?"

"she is just so she can be closer to us," mollie nodded, "but she has an apartment near the rink so we're staying there for the weekend."

"okay.." max slowly nodded, placing his glass beside the sink before he turned back to look at her, "are you sure you want to? that's two nights."

"i'm sure." mollie smiled before she stood back up, "she's not seeing me thursday by the way, she's going to get her place set up so she'll see me friday instead."

"yeah, okay." max nodded, giving her a small smile, "thank you for giving her a chance."

"are you kidding? i'm starting to like her." she shrugged, heading towards the stairs, "she's kind of growing on me."

"right," he mumbled, scratching the back of his neck before he shook his head and turned back to the fridge.

a/n

miss mollie 🤨🤨🤨