Prolouge

Prologue

I love the smell of books. The way my fingertips touch the pages of novels. The feelings I get when I read the main character's thoughts. The feel of being attached to a fictional character you never actually saw, but you only know because of the books and movies. The feelings only book lovers and fantasy movie goers knows.

I'll never forget how I got knowledge and lessons by only reading fiction novels and watching fantasy movies. Halos dito umikot ang childhood ko at laking national bookstore at booksale ako. Sa tuwing napunta ako ng mall ay hindi ko mapigilan ang sarili na pumunta roon. It was my safe space. I feel like home. Kapag kasama ko ang aking ina sa mall ay naalala kong lagi pa ako noon pinapagalitan at minsan ay iniiwanan pa sa pag-uwi.

"Ano Astrid, diyan ka na ba titira? Bahala ka riyan, uuwi na ako!" Bumungad sa akin ang galit na mukha ng aking ina at nakahawak pa sa baywang ang isang kamay saka humakbang na papaalis.

"Teka lang!" Agap ko at ibinalik na ang libro sa lagayan. Kasalukuyan ko kasing binabasa kanina ang novel ni Rick Riordan, ang Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Kainis, nabitin pa naman ako sa huling chapter. Malapit ko nang matapos ang libro at hindi ko na namalayan ang oras! Mabilis akong tumakbo papunta sa direksyon ng aking ina at halos pinagtitinginan na ako ng mga tao dahil sa pagmamadali ko.

I used to like fantasy. I always imagine myself living in a large enchanted castle whilst running in the long stairs, wearing a long gown with a crown on the head like a Princess. I also badly wanna play with cute and strange magical creatures such as pixies and fairies, ride a unicorn while playing bow and arrow at sun set—as if I am a brave enchantress, and of course to be with a loyal, handsome and magnificent prince who will love you for the rest of your life.

Aside from that, I can also imagine myself possessing super powers where I can do anything I want, like having the capability to teleport, talk to animals and be telepathic like Eleven from Stranger Things. I wanna kill that creepy and disgusting Demogorgon too and be with her love interest: Mike.

But at the same time, I also wanna be a student at a magical academy like Hogwarts, where I can learn spells, potions and transfigurations, strolling the hallway while having chitchats with Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco, have a small talk with the characters in the paintings located near the staircase, and having tea with Hagrid, pet Fang and most of all have a sleep over with the Weasleys at the Burrow.

Ang aking kwarto ay punong-puno ng mga libro. Ang iba nga ay hindi ko na maipagkasya sa aking bookshelf dahil sobrang dami na at baka bumigay at bumagsak na. Maging ang aking mahal na nanay ay nammroblema na dahil sa sobrang daming librong nakakalat sa aking kwarto.

I am so amused by how creative the minds of the authors has to write good stories that can persuade readers and made them so attached to the fictional characters.

There are so many things running in my mind.

Like what if I once lived like a royal princess? What if I had a royal blood? Ruling a country, perhaps?

Who am I in my first life?

Why do I feel like I don't belong here?

Why do I also feel like it's the reason why I am so fond of reading and watching fantasy books and movies?

Laging ito ang tanong ko pagkagising sa umaga. It's like I'm only living to find out what is my real purpose.

This world is so mysterious yet so fascinating. Living here making good memories, moments and friends are what's making life so beautiful. We must treasure them all since we don't know what will happen in the future. Only the God and the universe knows exactly what will be our fate, and we just need to keep up with the flow of life.