Chapter 8

((Y/N)'s POV)

I was meditating in my room, focusing on Honkai energy around me. Then, when I began to absorb it, my hunger, drowsiness, and hunger vanished in the process. When needed, I could last for a month without any food or water, only surviving with the usage of Honkai around me. Hours passed until I was satisfied with the results. I opened my eyes, got on my feet, and stretched my limbs. I looked to the right, to see my pet and faithful companion.

 I looked to the right, to see my pet and faithful companion

Aurora, my sister-in-arms in many of my missions. I smiled, remembering the day I found her.

Flashback

I was waiting in the shadow of a tree, waiting for my target to go on his daily walk. Theodore Snyde, the boss of the Heaven branch of the SDC, had killed many innocent Faunus and it was my duty to take his life. According to my informants, Theodore was taking a walk through this park daily, every time at 6 pm. And speaking of the devil, there he was, with his snobby dress and arrogant expression on his face. Once he was in reach, I stretched my clawed hand and slashed at his neck. My move was successful and he fell to the ground, with a gaping wound on the neck. As I was about to dispose of the corpse, I heard a faint voice: "Food?" I turned around to see a Grimm the size of my palm. It looked like a peacock hatchling, which it probably was: A newborn Grimm. It must be mistaking me for one of its kind because of my mask. I couldn't let a child die. With a reassuring voice, I replied: "Take as much as you want." It chirped happily and pounced on the corpse. I was... surprised to say at least. The little bird devoured the body completely and even licked the ground clean from all the blood. With the mission accomplished, I began walking. But then I heard the Grimm say: "Traveling?" I looked to my side, where the hatchling stood. It came closer and cuddled to my foot. Then, it said one word: "Alpha." I smiled. The thought of being an Alpha to my own pack was very pleasant. I picked my small companion up and placed it on my shoulder and together, we traveled home.

Flashback end

It seemed ridiculous that Aurora – as I discovered a while after I met her – was a female. Sirin was outraged by having another competitor, although I didn't understand what she meant by that. By now, Aurora was two heads taller than me, not counting when her feathers stand tall and much more intelligent than any Grimm I've had the pleasure to encounter. Aurora got up from her spot and walked to me. "You know, I think you should get a rest.", she recommended, "The past weeks you've been only doing missions, overseeing work, and training. Sleeping would be very refreshing for you." I rolled my eyes. The Grimm female always wanted me to relax, to stop caring about anything, but I refused to do so. Pack on first place, that was my motto. I replied: "I already told you that I don't need any rest, Honkai is keeping me in top shape." Aurora pounced and threw me to the ground, one of her claws on my torso. After immobilizing me like that, she brought her face close to mine and said: "You may be capable of staying awake forever with Honkai, but that doesn't change the fact that you need sleep. It's not only important for your health but for your mental stability too." She always said that, but I didn't understand her. My mind is completely fine.