Prologue

((Y/N) Pov (6 years old))

What did I do to deserve this? This question was troubling me constantly. Ever since Fath- Jacques discovered that I don't have an aura, my life turned upside down. I was beaten every day, and the food they gave me was barely enough to keep me alive. It wasn't even cooked! The only person in this house that cares about me is my older sister Weiss. She always comes to me and bandages my wounds. Sometimes we even sneak out of my room into the kitchen and Weiss gives me the best food she can find.

But now I was being beaten by him again. "You are a disgrace to the family.", Jacques stated, as he was hitting me. I was weakly trying to avoid his punches, without success. After a few minutes, he was satisfied with what he did to me and left my room, if you want to call it one. It had nothing in it but an old mattress. The floor was covered in blood - my blood - and the paint on the walls was barely visible. As I was about to cry myself to sleep, the door went open again, but this time silently. Then a white-haired head appeared. My older sister Weiss.

She came in with a first aid kit and closed the door, as silent as possible. "My Oum, what did he do to you again.", she whispered and started treating my wounds. "Nothing serious.", I mumbled, only to receive a strict glare from Weiss. "I can feel a broken rib.", she stated, "So it's very serious. How can you live like this! You did nothing wrong!" She was becoming angrier, I needed to change the topic, so I asked: "Are we going to sneak into the kitchen again?" She looked at me and replied: "Of course, you need to eat properly so your wounds can heal." Weiss went silent and after a while she added: "Who knows, maybe you will be able to manifest an aura if you'll eat healthy food." An aura. That was a sensitive topic for both of us. Wiess still believed that one day, I will be able to manifest my aura, so we could be a happy family again. I had my doubts in that area.

Weiss opened the door and looked carefully if someone was in the hallway. Since it was almost past midnight, the only ones awake were Weiss and me. We sneaked across the mansion and into the kitchen. At this point my hunger was almost unimaginable, all those scents were driving me crazy. Weiss opened the fridge and took out a piece of a cake and gave it to me. But just as I wanted to bit into it, the worst thing imaginable happened. The lights went on and a too-familiar voice echoed in the kitchen: "What do you think you are doing, trash?!"

(3rd person Pov)

There he stood, looking angrily at (Y/N). Beside Jacques stood two butlers. One of them, Klein, looked at (Y/N) with pity in his eyes, while the other one didn't look bothered by the situation. Weiss stood near the fridge with her mouth open. She didn't predict such an outcome. Now she was trying to figure out how to get from this situation. Well, I could... No! I can't do this! she thought. (Y/N) just stood still, fear was visible on every part of his body. "Who allowed you to sneak into the kitchen and steal our food! Do you think a disappointment like you deserves to eat?!", Jaques shouted and then looked to Weiss, "And what are you doing here?", he asked her. Weiss was silent, an inner dilemma going on inside her. "Well?" Jacques was losing patience. He just saw how this disgrace was stealing food as if it would deserve some. How dares he! Weiss has made a decision.

She made a quick apologetic look only (Y/N) saw and said: "I heard something, so I went out of my room and saw (Y/N) sneaking towards the kitchen. I followed him and just as I wanted to talk to him, you came." For (Y/N), it felt like his heart was breaking. His older sister Weiss, the person he trusted the most, the only being that he cared about in this hellhole, was telling such things to that man, only to save her own skin. Jacques grunted and said: "I expected nothing less from this filth.", while looking at (Y/N) like he was something disgusting, "Klein, take my daughter back to her room. I will speak with her about this matter with her tomorrow." The said butler bowed and led Weiss out of the room. "And you!", he continued while looking at (Y/N), "I already thought about a solution for a certain problem and now I have it.", and with a swift punch Jacques knocked him out. He then turned towards the other butler and said: "Call Johnson and tell him to come here. I have a perfect 'employee' for the Dust mine B-14."