Chapter 10: The Passenger

"I still can't believe you did that." Din said to (y/n) as they shoot across the Tatooine desert on the speeder. The Child, hitched onto the side in his little tan pouch, squints as sand particles fly into his face. "Like I said, I didn’t have time to explain. It was a quick decision." (Y/n) explained and Din sighs. "I know...it just...it scared me when I saw that creature...." he stops and (y/n) frowns then places her hand on his shoulder. "Hey, I'm still here. That's all that matters." She said as he looks over his shoulder at her.

"I also didn't know you had your helmet." He said and (y/n) looks down. "I-I couldn't part with it. But...that was the first time I've put it on since..." she stops and looks away. Din doesn't reply and turns his head forward while (y/n) leans her head against his shoulder.

Meanwhile, close by, a Nikto is hammering a metal spike into some rock. He turns and looks over his shoulder, alert. Another of his accomplices - a human - looks up as well. The Nikto hears the roaring of the hunter’s speeder, approaching the rock gully where he and his accomplices are laying out their trap, and looks back down, continuing to hammer in the spike.

The old Mandalorian helmet that was given to Din and (y/n) by Cobb Vanth bounces slightly on the side of their speeder, as they approach the rock gully. Din accelerates even more, going quite fast now.

The Nikto and his accomplices loop a rope around the metal spike, and bury the rest of the rope in the sand. A metal rod is cranked down. The hunters are nearly upon them now, and just before they pass them, the human pulls up the rope, causing it to block the hunters' path. They fly off of the speeder, the Child and the damaged Mandalorian helmet of Vanth’s rolling onto the ground.

Quickly activating their jetpacks, Din and (y/n) stumble and land, as the speeder blows up, utterly destroyed. The bounty hunters reveal themselves and begin shooting Din in his beskar armor while (y/n) dodges the shots. The Child sits helpless in the sand. 

"Get the Child!" The human hunter orders and a small alien with a metallic-looking face, speaks something in his alien language and nods, as the Nikto and human approach Din and (y/n), shooting them. Another burly human comes from the rocks behind the hunters and runs towards them with a metal rod.

The small alien draws his small gun, and just before the burly human is able to hit Din’s pistol out of his hand, (y/n) shoots the small alien, blowing him back, but not hurting him too badly. The burly human swings at Din, hitting the rock as he dodges the vicious attacks.

The small alien gets up and limps behind some short rocks, pulling open the case to a much larger gun - seemingly a rifle of some sort. Din, (y/n) and the burly human continue to brawl, but Din slices him in the neck and chest area, incapacitating him. Very quickly, the other human and the Nikto approach them.

The small alien comes out of the rocks with the large gun, as Din and (y/n) tussles with the other two. The small alien activates the rifle and points it at the four tussling people, and Din grapples out the hook on his wrist, pulling the rifle out of the small alien’s hands and towards him. It slams into the heads of the two larger attackers, knocking them out, and to the sandy ground, as Din and (y/n) ducks.

They stumble forward then they look to see that the small alien has the Child in his arms, holding a knife to him. "Wait! Don’t hurt the Child. If you put one mark on him, there’s no place you will be able to hide from us. We can strike a bargain. There’s a lot of value in this wreckage. Take your pick." Din said as (y/n) senses that the Child was beyond terrified.

The Child coos, as the small alien looks around and contemplates this. The alien looks over and notices the Mandalorian helmet lying in the sand. "But leave the Child." Din tells him. The small alien gestures upwards, pointing his knife to Din and saying something in his odd alien dialect. He gestures for Din to put something on the ground. Din grabs his jetpack and pulls it off his back.