Chapter 7 - "Normal" Expectations

They fell back into their Wednesday and Saturday routine seamlessly, except now in addition to those days, Wei Ying would often drop by the hospital for lunch. They would eat in Qingyang's room and sometimes Wen Ning and Wen Qing would join them. In those moments, amongst the bright smiles that only Wei Ying could illicit from others, the emptiness that resided in Lan Zhan faded into the distant past.

Wei Ying never pushed to have lunch away from the hospital and most days he would pack lunch for both of them. If Wei Ying showed up after Lan Zhan was done work, he would accompany Lan Zhan to Qingyang's room and wait while Lan Zhan filled Qingyang in on his day. It wasn't in Wei Ying's nature to be able to sit quietly, so it amused Lan Zhan to see Wei Ying by his side so silent and reserved.

At first, Wei Ying's endless gestures weighed heavily on him even as they warmed his heart. Over time Lan Zhan had come to accept that Wei Ying needed nothing more than to be allowed to stand along side him. And the more accepting Lan Zhan was of his friendship, the happier it made Wei Ying. So Lan Zhan relinquished all his reservations and just prayed that in his next life, he would be able to pay Wei Ying back for being by his side.

They had grown close, to the point where they could read each other's moods easily and at times they were able to communicate without words. Their affection for each other was never voiced, but both knew where they stood with the other. The restraint they had exercised still existed, but they eventually accepted the necessity of it, and settled into a comfortable companionship despite it.

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan said, reaching for his hand as they took their Saturday afternoon walk. "You seem quiet today. Is everything okay?"

"Of course," he replied, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. He intertwined their fingers and looked away from Lan Zhan as they continued to walk.

Lan Zhan stopped walking and pulled on Wei Ying's hand till he stopped and turned to face him. He took Wei Ying's other hand and raised his eyebrows and when Wei Ying shook his head to indicate nothing was wrong, Lan Zhan just stared at him quietly.

Wei Ying huffed. "I can't keep anything from you," he muttered with a little pout. "It's really nothing, Lan Zhan. Just Jiang Cheng and shijie have been asking questions, that's all."

It all made sense now why Wei Ying was so distracted. Tomorrow would be Sunday and he would be seeing his siblings for dinner.

"Questions?"

"I dropped by Lotus Pier yesterday and Jiang Cheng had Nie Huaisang cornered and was pushing my poor friend to tell him what he knew about us," Wei Ying said with a roll of his eyes. "Poor Huaisang was shaking behind his fan screaming, 'I don't know. I really don't know.' I pulled Huaisang away and told Jiang Cheng to stop bullying him. Of course Jiang Cheng got angry and started demanding answers and that's when shijie came in."

"Jiang Yanli has questions?" Lan Zhan asked. He knew Wei Ying's brother was a bit of a hot head, but he always described his shijie as levelheaded and kindhearted.

"Well no, she didn't say anything, but I could see the concern on her face," Wei Ying sighed.

Lan Zhan could understand his sibling's concern. After all, he knew the rumours must have spread on how Wei Ying was hanging around a married man; a man that was in no position to commit to their brother right now, or maybe even ever. And even though they had strong feelings for each other that they had never acted on, people watching from the outside always assumed the worst.

"I'm really dreading dinner tomorrow," Wei Ying grumbled.

"Would you like me to accompany you?"