CHAPTER 27

"Don't show me that pity look in your eyes."

"Mommy..."

"So, you've met the woman of your father." Though she tried to hide the bitterness dripping behind her sarcastic remark, the fading jealousy in her eyes betrayed her. No matter how mastered she was in putting up a straight face, I was her daughter, I knew her. "How was the feeling? Is she a mother to you? Did she treat you better like a mother do?"

"Mom, I am not here for that..."

Tumaas ang isang kilay niya. Her well-formed lips twitched a bit. "Really? What are you coming here for then?"

Silently, I sighed.

"I... I am here to say...sorry." Kinagat ko ang ibabang laki ko. "I'm sorry, mommy. Sorry if I ruined your plans on me. I'm sorry if I didn't want to be you. I have a family now, mom. Sana matanggap mo sila."

"I can never forgive someone who betrayed me, Duress. And that family of yours will never be accepted here." Tumungo ako. Hindi ko ipipilit. Dahil mahirap talagang makipag-compromise kay mommy. "You ruined my name to the Artiza clan. My word of honor is tainted."

"Mommy, hindi ka magiging masaya kung nakabatay ka sa sasabihin ng iba. You will never ber happy if you will focus on something that's ending. Mom, it's not yet too late to focus on yourself, too."

Pumalatak siya. "My own daughter is preaching in my own house." She laughed mockingly. "How insulting."

"Mom—"

"Did you think just because you're happy people around you is sad, huh? And that is because you chose happiness I am miserable, is that it, Duress Venner?"

I shook my head. "Mommy, hindi. I just want you to be happy without depending on how would lolo say."

"So, you really think I am miserable." She grinned but her eyes said otherwise. "You just had a taste of happiness and you already think it's forever. You are only loved and you already think you're the luckiest woman on earth. Wait until that fantasy is over, dear. No matter how much you detested of becoming me, you will be me if hate is smoldering in your heart and the only thing that you wanted to see is the misery of people."

"Kaya ka ganiyan dahil nasaktan ka? O baka naman ganiyan kana kaya ka nasaktan, mommy! Kaya ka iniwan ng daddy ni Xantheus dahil d'yan sa ugali mo. That's why dad left us because of you, too. Stop blaming people for the pain that you felt where in fact you are the problem that's why you're hurting!" For the second time since our last dispute, she slapped me.

"Stop licensing my attitude to blame me for something that you didn't know and you will never understand! Am I to be blamed if I was hurt the first time and I didn't want to be a victim of my heart the second time? Am I to be blamed if I chose myself? I just wanted to be a mother of you, Duress. And me, being your mother who experienced misery just wanted to protect you from everything harmful even if it includes your happiness from feeling the love of somebody." She held both of my hands. "You can be happy with Treon. He's a good man."

I took back my hands from her. "Were you happy with daddy then? If you were happy with your marriage, did we even have to reach this extent? Did our hearts have to grow apart, mom? You shelter yourself away from pain too much. You kept on protecting yourself to the point that you forgot about us. That you have us, mommy. Kinalimutan mo kami, mom. You are too drowned with the idea that people will only come in your life to hurt you. Did you ever love daddy?" Hindi ko alam kung para kanino ako mas nasasaktan. Kung kay daddy ba na minahal si mom knowing na hindi siya mahal nito o kay mommy na buong buhay na kasama si daddy, hindi siya naging masaya?

"I couldn't love him."

"You could love him, mom, but you chose not to. Because you're selfish." Malungkot akong ngumiti. "If you didn't love him, where were we in your shattered heart? Nasaan kami ng kapatid ko? Nand'yan ba kami?" I doubt that. A tear skipped from my eyes. Well, I guessed, this was goodbye. "Goodbye, mom." I did my best to get her into our life. I gave my all to convince her to come to us. I had nothing to regret of.