CHAPTER 18

I got cold feet as I stared at the big mansion of Redwoods outside. Xantheus was holding my hand, trying his best to calm me down but no one could make me. A maidservant opened the gate for us and it made me fidgety even more as we strode to the foyer.

"Theus!" A middle-aged woman enthusiastically called him. Nasa boses nito ang kagalakan nang nakita si Xantheus. She looked a lot like Dolce, set aside the gentle aura 'cause Dolce was a bit fiercer.

"Mom," bati ng asawa ko saka hinalikan sa noo ang mommy niya habang hindi naman binitiwan ang kamay kong hawak niya. His mother noticed me. "Mom, meet my wife, Duress."

"Hello, Ma'am, good afternoon," magalang kong pagbati saka bahagyang tumungo.

Her eyes squinted trying to pore at me better. Napahigpit tuloy ang hawak ko sa kamay ni Xantheus. Though she looked gentle and calm, I couldn't help but feel nervous about the way she checked on me and my get up. Simple lang naman ang suot ko. Jumpsuit and a white winter coat. I didn't want to leave a flaunting impression on them. Baka hindi ako magustuhan.

"Mom, you're scaring my wife." Pinisil ko ang gilid niya. He chuckled lightly.

Slowly, her eyes widened and it shocked me when she squealed.

"Oh, my God!" sigaw niya pa at parang naghihisterya siya. She even cupped her blushed face.

A man coming from a room worriedly attended to us. "What happened?" alalang-ala ang lalaking carbon copy ni Xantheus ang pagmumukha maliban sa kulay asul nitong mga mata. He was holding a ladle and was wearing a grey apron. Worries were clearly written all over his face.

"Honey! Look at your son's Christmas gift for me!" she squealed further while staring at me, entranced. Lumingon naman sa gawi namin ang daddy ni Xantheus. And then his eyes stuck to mine.

The nervousness that I felt made me smile at him faintly. "Hello, po. Good afternoon. I'm—"

"Duress Venner Yuzon!" his father announced. I couldn't believe he knew me. I mean, did Xantheus already gabbed them about me? Or it's men's talk or something?

"The very owner of DVY Brand! Oh, my God! I am a collector of your designs!" Awkwardness and flattery stirred me. Hindi ko alam pero naiilang ako sa nalaman. So weird that she's a collector. It put pressure on my part to work out the best of my brand. Well, I did give my best but knowing that she's a collector, something in me wanted the best for her.

Tiningnan ko si Xantheus. He simply lifted me an eyebrow whilst smiling.

Nang tiningnan ko ulit ang mama niya ay masama na ang tingin na ipinukol nito sa anak. "I've been looking forward to schedule an appointment with you just to see you in person but yours always gets out of hand."

"Uh, limited lang po kasi talaga ang hinahayaan kong magpa-schedule. I've been very busy working on my new design these past few months."

"Oh, I understand you're busy. But look how fate favored me now. This is more than I expected. And you, Lord Xantheus!" pinandilatan niya ito ng mga mata, "Let's talk later." She clung to my arms and yanked me out from Xantheus to somewhere I didn't know. "I'm Xelan. You can call me Mommy Xexe now."

I smiled at the thought of calling her mommy.

"I didn't know you were the woman he's talking about all through the years. And I must admit, and proud, that my dearest son knew how to choose a proper woman." My heart beat fast. I never thought he could be this vocal about me to his parents.

Sumunod lang ako sa kaniya at hindi alam kung saan kami tutungo. When she opened the French door, I got to see the wide snowed garden.

"So, when is the wedding?"