CHAPTER 24

"Where is she?" Even if I was still weak to get up, I still did. "I wanna see her..." My voice was hoarse.

My husband's eyes were sad but he still smiled at me. "Please, recuperate more. Okay?"

Stubbornly, I shook my head. "I want to see her, please, bring me to her, Xantheus." I wanna see my daughter. I wanna hug and carry her in my arms.

Tumayo siya at hinawakan ako sa parehong braso. "Please, calm down."

"I can only do that if I made sure that she's fine." Gusto kong tumayo pero nanghihina pa rin ako. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagawin ko kapag may masamang nangyari sa kaniya.

"Alright. Alright. I'll call a nurse for the wheelchair. Stay put."

Hinintay ko siyang bumalik kasama ang nurse na may dalang wheelchair. Both of them assisted me to be seated there. Nang nakaupo ako nang maayos ay si Xantheus ang nagtulak sa wheelchair palabas ng room.

We went inside the nursery room. There were new born babies inside but we stopped in front of the incubator. Agad na tumulo ang luha ko nang nakita siya.

"Bakit siya may ganiyan, Xantheus? Anong nangyayari sa kaniya?" my voice broke to those questions. It really pained me seeing her. My heart was slowly tortured seeing my daughter in that equipment. "Bakit hindi siya katulad ng mga normal babies? Why is our daughter inside that glass?"

"She's premature. Kulang siya sa buwan when you delivered her. She's weak and her heart is still not well-developed. So, she needed the incubator to keep her." I wept so hard in my palms. Nahagod ko ang dibdib ko sa sobrang sakit.

"It's all my fault. I didn't care better. I should've known better. I should've done more."

Xantheus consoled me. "Hush, love. It hurt me more seeing you like that." Niyakap niya ako habang umiiyak. I felt my arms wet from his tears. "Hush...she'll be okay. She will survive 'cause she's a fighter."

Huminto ako sa pag-iyak nang nakita ang pangalan na nakadikit sa incubator. When I touched it, I felt like I was touching her too.

"Xarena Duchess..." I uttered her name.

"Did you like her name?" Lumuluha akong tumango. Xarena Duchess Y. Redwood. I bore the pain when I looked at her. My tears were falling nonstop. Sa tabi niya ay may maliit na bracelet. It had four-leaf clovers preserved in the resins that hung to each metal ring.

"I sent that bracelet in a temple and asked for the monks to bless it for our future baby."

I wouldn't wish for my health. With that lucky bracelet, I wished for your fast recovery and long health, baby.

I touched the glass. "Please, fight for us, baby. Survive for us. Mommy and daddy love you so much..."

Going back to my room, I was crying silently. It was slowly tearing me apart. Hindi katulad ng ibang mommy na nakakasama nila ang baby nila sa unang araw ng panganganak, pinapa-dede ng gatas ng ina, my baby was relying on a machine and equipment just to survive. How I wished na sana ako nalang. I'd be more than willing to trade my life for her.

"It tears me up, Xantheus, seeing her like that. Hindi ko alam kung kailan ko siya maaalagaan. I wanna carry her. I wanna hold her in my arms like every mother should. Pero hindi ko iyon magagawa dahil...dahil sa kalagayan niya." Partly, I blamed myself to what happened. Kung hindi ba ako lumabas at tiniis ang uhaw hanggang sa dumating siya, would this ever be happening right now?

"She'll be fine, love. She will fight. She's brave like you."

Tumango ako. I knew. I knew that she would. We'd be waiting for her recovery. We'd wait for that time to carry her in our arms and play with her in her room.