Part 7 | Blinded

The next day, Shuichi was the most nervous he had ever been. The previous day, he had come up with what he wanted to say. However his anxiety got to him and had totally forgotten, great. Now he had to come up with something and practice it in his head, going through all the possibilities of what she could say.

He had come up with something simple: I really like you, Kaede. I have for a while now and I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me?

It was perfect in the detective's mind, simple and straight to the point. The only problem was the boy's anxiety, Shuichi could barely hold a conversation without getting nervous. This was going to be a challenge, a real test of courage.

The detective was distracted for the entire day, reciting the lines in his head. Shuichi sat at his lunch table, still rehearsing his lines. Maki was the only one at the lunch table, surprisingly.

The detective looked to his right, then left and noticed the astronaut wasn't there. "Hey Maki, where's Kaito?"

The assassin picked up some food with her fork. "He's out sick. I took him to the nurse yesterday so I guess he stayed home today."

Shuichi shrugged. It wasn't like the astronaut to be out sick, even when he was he would somehow show up to school before being dragged home by Maki. It felt lonely and scarily quiet at the table without Kaito, it made the detective a little sad to not see the astronaut's smile. Shuichi brushed off his thoughts, continuing to eat his lunch.

~~~

The school day ended fairly quickly. Shuichi rushed to Kaede's locker before she left for the weekend. The pianist was grabbing a few papers from her locker when she heard someone call her name. "K-Kaede!"

The pianist turned to see Shuichi running towards her. "Hi, Shuichi! Do you need something?"

The detective stopped, catching his breath. He tried to recite what he was telling himself this morning. "I-I, uhh, like you a-and I was wondering i-if you would, uhh-"

Shuichi was cut off by a small giggle coming from the pianist herself. "Oh, I'm sorry. It was just funny how you didn't know I'm dating Miu."

The detective's eyes shot wide open. Every bit of nervousness he had been feeling was sucked out of him, as if Kaede had taken the life from him. Emptiness took over the once warm Shuichi. How could he be so stupid? He's a detective, shouldn't he have figured it out?

A frown formed on the detective's face as he pulled his hat down to cover the tears forming in his eyes. "N-No. I'm sorry, I didn't know. B-Bye."

Tears flowed down Shuichi's face like a waterfall as he sprinted home. The detective fumbled with the key trying to open the door. He eventually got it, stumbling into the living room. Luckily, his uncle was working so he wouldn't have to worry about being spotted crying.

Shuichi made it to his room, slamming the door behind him. The detective balled his fists in anger, his sadness turning into rage. He swung two closed fists at the door. "Dammit!"

Shuichi slid down, the tightness of his fists loosening as he sobbed. "D-Dammit."

A/N
Finally, finally the next part is out! Sorry that took forever, school is giving me an unholy amount of work. I'm pretty sure it's sucking all the creativity out of me.

See ya later my guys, gals, non-binary pals, and anything else in between! ~ Nex