Chapter 4

Trying to fix my tie, Alex laughs at me, "My God, you look so uncomfortable."

I then nod with a chuckle, "Yeah. I mean look at me. Everything about is screaming I should be busy digging foxholes."

He then smirks, "You used to-"

I quickly stop him, "Stop. You know what I meant," I join in on his laughter.

"That life is behind you now, right now you are the security guy that gets to piss off teenagers when they want to get into a club who looks surprisingly good in a suit."

"Fuck you," I laugh and he almost snorts at my response, "I mean, I haven't gotten any foul looks yet."

He lifts his shoulders, "See? Nothing to worry about. Then again they probably don't remember what you looked like," he then props his arm on the table resting his face in his hand, "I won't leave you to brave this sea alone by running off to meet new people."

I shrug, sitting back in my chair, "You do you, I ain't a child."

"Fair enough," he lifts himself out of his chair, "See you in a bit."

Motherfucker.

Shaking my head I smile to myself as he disappears into the shifting crowd. Grabbing my glass I down the wine as if it would be some sort of confidence boost I need to face anyone from my year. As I lift myself a very familiar voice calls to me.

"(Y/N)," Jacky gives me a small smile, "May I sit?"

Dropping back into my chair, "Jacky," I then gesture for the seat as if giving him permission, but my smile fades as soon as he sits down, "Long time."

He chuckles, "You really did a number on me last time we saw each other," his smile fades as he gives me a pained look, he opens his mouth to speak but then hesitates, "Listen, about that night," the words struggle to come out but I let him finish, "I am sorry."

I give a suppressed chuckle, "Sorry huh?" I lean closer, "You only got me kicked out of school. You practically played a part in ending my life as it was and all you got is some half-assed sorry?"

He defends himself, "You had it coming," he then sighs, "You disappeared for ten years. Not saying a word, not even a goodbye, how is it fair that you blame me for that?" he shakes his head, "I didn't come here to fight with you. I am sorry, (Y/N). I said those things because I was watching my friend turn into the very thing he complained about every single day."

"You brought her into it, don't come here with that shit. It wasn't about me, you know that. Right now you should tell me if it was worth it or not."

"What do you want me to do man? You were hurting her more than anyone else? If I didn't step in to save her, Eve would have," he then sighs, "I know there isn't anything I can do for you to make it up but..." he raises his gaze to meet mine, "You look good," he then lifts himself out of the chair, "Try and make it up with her if you can find it in yourself. At the very least... she deserves it."

Giving me a final glance he then leaves.

I then smile to myself as he leaves; what did you expect? That I was going to be happy to see you, the person that practically helped me throw my life away. I don't blame you, I am just petty like that.

I then look at the glass, "I am definitely going to need more wine to be able to cope with tonight."

Grabbing my glass, I dig my other hand in my pocket as I walk towards the table filled with bottles. I don't want to think about how much so many wine bottles would have cost, not to mention the quality.

I doubt someone like Eve would be fine with this - I then look through the corner of my eye - speak of the devil.

She turns around crossing her arms over her chest she leans against the table smiling at me whilst holding her gaze through the corner of her eye.