Crimson Red

The next few weeks were pretty fun. I was starting to understand school, which made it more interesting. I didn't get lost, and Ponyboy being in almost all of my classes was really good. Sometimes it would be distracting, though, because I would find myself staring at him a lot.

I jogged down the hallway of my house, and grabbed a slice of toast that was sitting on the counter. I snatched my backpack, and threw on my jacket. "Bye!" I called to my dad. I flung open the door, and Ponyboy was standing on my front porch. "Hi," I said, smiling.

"Hey."

"Where's Johnny?" I asked with concern.

"He wasn't feeling good, so he stayed home," Ponyboy explained.

"Oh."

I closed the door, and we walked to school. Ponyboy was definitely my favorite of the gang. He was always nice and he was really smart. He was really good-looking too, but he didn't think so.

As we walked to school, my thumb swept across my lip the whole time. It's a habit that I have, I always play with my lip when I'm nervous.

The school day was alright. I was lonely in science class without Johnny, though.

"Ready?" Ponyboy asked me.

"Yep," I answered.

We hopped down the steps and walked home. Our arms were swinging in sync; forward, back, forward, back. Our hands touched and I looked away, blushing.

We walked in the door of the Curtis house, and I was surprised to see nobody sitting in the living room. Ponyboy dropped his backpack on the couch, and led me to the kitchen. He grabbed me a Coke from the fridge. He handed it to me, his fingers sweeping across mine. I smiled a little, looking at the floor.

"Do you want to do our homework together?" Ponyboy asked me, smiling.

"Yeah, sure," I replied.

Ponyboy nodded, and grabbed his backpack. He walked to his room and sat down at his desk. He pulled up an extra chair for me, and opened his textbook. He read the first question aloud, and helped me out with it. I read the next question, trying not to stutter and humiliate myself. When I finished, I looked over at Ponyboy who was staring at me. I blushed and I could feel my ears getting red. I was fumbling with my lip again.

"What?" I asked giggling.

Ponyboy didn't answer, he was zoned out. He snapped back, taking his head off of his knuckles. He looked around, and looked back at me. "Oh, sorry... I zone out a lot--I'm sorry..." he babbled.

I smiled, giggling at him. He was really cute. "It's fine," I whispered.

I read the question over again, and he was still looking at me. I smiled again, chuckling.

"Sorry..." he mumbled, laughing.

I smiled again.

"Do you want to do this later?" he asked, "I can't focus."

"I see that," I teased, "sure."

He smiled at me.

"Hey kiddos!" Soda exclaimed, bursting into the room, "doin' homework?"

Ponyboy jumped, startled. "Yeah..."

I nodded at Soda, which made his movie-star smile appear. He was really cute, but not really my type. Every time I walk over to DX all the girls are swooning over him.

"Nice job. You better finish before Darry gets home, or he'll skin ya!" Sodapop said.

"We will," Ponyboy assured.