"How many times do I need to tell you? You ain't no goddamned fag!"

"Birch, open your eyes." Birch did as he was told, and saw his father standing alongside his bed. It was around seven in the morning. He yawned. "What's up, pa?"

"Comb your hair and dress nice."

Confused, Birch sat up and rubbed his eyes. "What're you talkin' 'bout?"

"Someone's gonna come over soon, and I want you to meet 'er."

"Alright, pa."

Mr Kelton nodded and left the room. Birch stretched, and the memories from the night before warmly greeted him. After they had finished kissing, Birch and Lawrence agreed to do the same thing the next night. Birch gave him a ride home, laughing and joking all the way, giving him a tender fairwell kiss before they parted ways. He arrived at his own house and fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. His heart skipped a beat and gave him energy to get out of bed and get ready for the day. He remembered to dress nice, putting on a collared dress shirt with a woolen taupe jacket and a pair of corduroy pants. He spit-shined his loafers and combed his hair thoroughly, and was busy swishing mouthwash at the sink when there was a knock at the door. He heard the door being opened, and his father called his name. He spat the mouthwash into the sink and made sure his face was clean and attractive before he headed into the living room. Mr Kelton was sitting in his wooden rocking chair, and on the sofa across from him sat a woman and a girl Birch's age. He immediately recognized them. The woman was Mrs Sherbourne, a regular at the Kelton's taxidermy shop, and the girl was her daughter, Emma, who Birch used to go to school with. Like every other girl in Lael, Emma had a huge crush on him, and blushed when she saw him. "Birch, you know Mrs Sherbourne and her daughter, correct?" Mr Kelton asked. Birch nodded. "Good morning to you, Mrs Sherbourne," he said as he shook her hand. Emma giggled. "Hey, Birch," she said. "It's been a long time since I last saw you. You still look amazing." He smiled, warmed by her compliment, but felt no attraction. "You look quite fine too, Emma."

"Come sit down," Mr Kelton said, gesturing toward a wicker chair by the sofa. Birch did as he was told. Emma smiled at him, twirling a lock of dark brown hair. She wasn't ugly, but she wasn't exactly beautiful either. Birch especially had distaste toward the millions of freckles splattered onto her face. It looks like a massive cherry souffle had exploded and little cherry flecks got stuck on her, Birch thought with a snicker. "Do you want to tell him, or should I?" said Mrs Sherbourne.

"Tell me what?" Birch asked.

"Your father and I have talked, I want you and my daughter to start dating!" she gushed. Birch sat there in disbelief, stunned, and angry with his father. He slanted his eyes at him and quickly changed his expression before turning back to Mrs Sherbourne. "Mrs Sherbourne," he began. "I-I really can't."

Emma frowned. "Well, why not?" Birch sighed. At first, she was being polite and friendly. Now Birch began to suspect she only wanted him for his looks, and was growing more and more annoyed by the second. "Well, uh, Emma really ain't my cup 'a tea, Mrs Sherbourne."

Mrs Sherbourne became angry. "Are you sayin' she's ugly?"

"No, no, not at all," he stammered.

"Then why don'chu wanna date her?"

"Because," he explained. "she's not a good fit for me, and I'm not a good fit for her."

Emma sat down beside him and hugged him around his neck. "Oh, Birch, you're a wonderful fit for me," she said. That was when he knew that there was something he really didn't like about Emma. "It'll take some time, but you and me'll lovin' each other before you know it!"

About a half an hour later, Emma and her mother left. Mr Kelton took Birch to his study, where he sat him down for an disciplinary discussion. Actually, it wasn't a discussion, it was a long, harsh, lecture.

"How many times do I need to tell you? You ain't no goddamned fag!" Mr Kelton yelled. Birch shamefully hung his head low and felt his stomach grow heavy. "I can't help it, Pa. I'm sorry."

 "Do you know how much time I spent wondering which girl was just right for you to date?" he barked.

Birch was quiet.

"Get out of my sight!" Mr Kelton shouted. Birch did just that. He went to his room and began to play his violin, but three notes in his father yelled at him to stop playing that girly instrument. So instead, he curled up in bed and daydreamed about Lawrence.