EVERYTHING FOR YOU

CHAPTER SIXTEEN.

The thought came to her one day, spontaneously and out of the blue, as she was lounging near the dark soiled banks of the Great Lake. She had visited Gringotts just a few days before seventh year started when she was out shopping with Bona for books and other school materials at Diagon Alley. She managed to convert all the muggle money she saved up these past years into galleons, one of the three wizard currencies.

Gringotts resembled a museum or even a five-star hotel more than it did a bank. The high ceilings and arched windows and marbled-tiled floors all felt so grand and luxurious that Jisoo momentarily felt small and insignificant in the vastness of it all, so out of place from all the intricate decor. She was only reminded that it was indeed a bank when she saw the rows and rows of accounts and bankers, all goblins, punching up numbers and sorting through files and counting coins and examining jewelries under magnifying glasses.

Jisoo sat up and looked to her right, where Taehyung was lying down with his eyes half-closed in tranquil bliss. Beside him, he had a bag of puking pastilles for his next unfortunate victim. He looked up at her when he felt her eyes bore into him and she smiled. "I think I want to work at Gringotts."

"Gringotts," Professor McGonagall repeated, looking at Jisoo with narrowed eyes. The next day, she had a sort of career guidance meeting with a teacher. It was called as such back in the muggle world, where students would sit down with teachers who reviewed their grades and they would decide together on what were the best career paths and job opportunities to take once the student graduates.

They were doing exactly that and McGonagall doesn't at all look the least bit pleased with Jisoo's first choice of a job. "Why on earth would you want to work with Goblins, Ms. Kim? Some of the wizards working there are there because they have no choice, it's one of the lesser wizard-friendly working environments."

Jisoo winced slightly at the professor's words. She wondered what was wrong with working with them, with goblins, aside that they were fickle creatures. Jisoo had learned through her History classes that they weren't all that bad to wizards who learned how to respect their kind and Jisoo thinks she could do that. "I just have a thing for numbers. I mean, I passed Arithmancy with an O in OWLs and I'm already preparing for the NEWTs for it. I know I need to have Outstandings in both OWLs and NEWTs to be apply to apply for it, so I'm aware that I have to study hard."

All the seventh years would be going through this guidance meeting in preparation for taking the NEWTs, before they all decide the course of their life as witches and wizards in the real world beyond the walls of Hogwarts. The NEWTs were similar to the OWLs, they were exams as well but the NEWTs had a higher value of importance; passing them was critical because it heavily determined their future career. And if Jisoo intended to keep living the magical, wizarding world then she had to get a proper job with a good pay.

McGonagall examines the thin piece of parchment in her hands, it contained all of Jisoo's grades ever since her first year. "The qualifications have changed to be able to apply in Gringotts, you're qualified enough to get hired right after graduation."

"Really?" Her ears perked up and she could feel herself beaming.