⁰¹, fragment

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞'𝐬

chapter one; fragment

"Whiskers!"

Jane Mary Black

Jane Mary Black

I STEP TOWARDS THE WINDOW, to have a second glance at the view. We've been here before of course. Only now it all looks different, brighter. The last time we came here it was still winter and now it is the end of summer. Lucy and Charles are helping Eden and me move into our new apartment. We'll be officially moving in here after our seventh year, which starts in two weeks. I don't know how to feel about it yet though, I have changed a lot during the summer. I would say I have become a different version of myself. A better one. I'm both proud and lucky to say that I'm finally confident in myself, I'm not the insecure kid anymore, I have grown a lot. And my beauty has involved, so that's a good thing. A shiver runs down my body just thinking about the former me. 

Still, there are a few things the same. I'm not about love, it doesn't define me like some other girls. I don't know if I've ever really been in love with someone. Sure, I love things about the people around me, but that's not being in love with a person. I had a boyfriend last year but I don't think it was love. At least not the love you read about in books. I've had crushes in the past, but never something exciting except for many make-out sessions and a few hook-ups here and there.

Thinking about it once more, I'm actually pretty scared of love. The commitment and trust that comes with it. I don't understand it because I've never seen it or learned how to. Elliot, my older brother, told me that mom and dad had a great love, but I didn't know them like that. My mom died giving birth to me. My childhood was all right, they loved me, I was the only girl in the family living with three male species. When I was nine my dad and uncle died and my brothers and I moved in with the Garfield family, my best friend, Eden, and her family. Lucy and Charles. The circumstances sucked, but I liked the change. I have always liked change for some insane reason. The house was never empty, always full of life and I loved that. One year later my brother, Finlay, died saving his best friend, Calista, who is also Eden's sister. 

Now I only have Elliot and the people we call family because of everything they have done for us, for all the time they've spent with us and how much they love us. At some point, Elliot got together with Lenora, Calista's best friend. She had lost her family too. I believe we had a lot in common and therefore I liked her too. But then the battle came and there love went down with it. She left just like everyone else seems to do. She is the love of his life and she left him just like that. Elliot came back to live with us for a while, he looked like a ghost for months. He was broken and lost and somedays angry. Until there was the day when Violet Cress knocked onto our door, his ex, they had been together at Hogwarts for several months before he got together with Lenora. She came to ask for help and he gave it. Elliot moved back into his house and she went with it. Did I mention she now had two kids, who aren't his and he knows it. I don't know what the hell he was thinking. Now they have a fucked up alliance without love.