¹¹, merry Christmas?

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞'𝐬

chapter eleven; merry Christmas?

"Something on your mind?"

Jane Mary Black

I'M STARING AT THE HIGH CEILING. The room is quiet and I use that time for a little thinking. Elijah sits next to me fidgeting with his knee. After a few minutes I turn my head his way, the couch fabric feels nice against my cheek. I glance at his face as he is still concentrated on the burning fire, in his own world. Then I come up straight and that seems to get his attention. "You okay?" I ask. His eyes meet mine and nods. "You?" "I'm fine." I give him a smile as we both continue to watch the fire. 

"I'm a little lost by now." Elijah states. "That makes two of us." "I mean, I get she cheated on Campbell, but who was it?" "Definitely Cooper." I start to grin a little. "No way, we would have known." I give him a look as he turns his head. "Yea? Well, let's make a bet then." The corners of his lips turn up. "All right. What's the deal?" "If I'm right and we catch Cooper and Eden together..you're going to have to make trips to the kitchen for me whenever I feel like." He chuckles. "For how long?" "Two months." "Two weeks." "One month." "Okay, fine. But if I win, and they're not together, you'll have to be my slave for a month." I put my hand towards him. "Deal." He shakes it, "Deal." 

Elijah takes another bite of his dessert and then spills it. I start to laugh when he looks at me. "What?" "You have a–" I scooch closer and wipe away the chocolate off of his face. I can feel his breath on my face as I do so. Then our eyes meet and for a second it's weird. I sit back down on my spot and move my eyes to the fire. "So, how was it to have the house to yourself?" Elijah breaks the silence. "Good, good. But I wasn't entirely alone. Teddy came by." I meet his eyes again. "Teddy? Are the two of you–" "No! Definitely not. Although he did try and kiss me..but I don't think it was like that..he has it hard at home right now." Elijah slowly bops his head. "You sure he doesn't still have feelings for you? Or the other way around.." For a moment I think back to that day. "No, I don't. I–" I stop talking for a moment before I turn my head back to Elijah. "You know how I feel about him. Relationships in general. You know how I am." He nods. "I know." All three of them know why I broke up with Teddy. It was because I couldn't say and mean it, I didn't mean the three words like he did. I just hope that kiss wasn't like that again, I hope he has moved on. 

~

Late that night I'm sitting on the side of my old bed, thinking. The house isn't quiet, even though it's really late or really early, but it's almost Christmas morning. I can hear Eden and the boys talk while I sit here alone. An hour ago I pretended to be asleep when Cooper came in. I didn't want him or them to know I had been crying. Cooper and Eden didn't come back downstairs this evening and after Elijah and I decided it was time to go to sleep we went up to our rooms.