Chapter 2: Mindful Madness

Maika looked towards his t.v that was playing in the background. "And that is why we always sign!" it was game like t.v show. Jake had probably no doubt heard it on the call. Maika zoned out for a moment before turning off the t.v. His friend Janet texted him.

[ You busy? ] He looked at her message.

[ Ya no I was on a call with Jake ] The phone buzzed.

[ Jake! That guys crazy. I can't believe you hang out with him! ] Now Maika was friends with Jake sure, and yes Jake had been acting odd lately but crazy was not one of the things he felt of him.

[ What do you mean? ]

He paused flipping through the fancy amazon esc grimoire he had delivered and bought the other week. Janet sent another message.

[ I mean I went to 6Flags with him, you know the theme park and he started picking up trash claiming that he "needed" it. Then he started spewing some bullshit about a "Game" and selling his soul and was just overall completely insane ]

Maika read and then re-read the text a couple times. Jake had talked about this "game" thing before. He wondered. He could have sworn that Jake had a "don't tell our friends about this" policy.

[ Seriously? ] He texted her back.

[ Yeah the dude's physco. ] Maika closed his book. He debated whether or not to text Jake about this. Jake had seemed fine last time that they hung out. Over the weeks of talking about the game and his contract had he really gone completely mad? Regardless Maika wasn't going to let it get to him. He put the grimoire down. He went to go make himself some coffee. His parents were screaming at each other again.

It seemed his entire family was in the living room. He overheard the t.v as he walked into the kitchen, narrowly avoiding his parent's screaming. "And that is why it pays to read these things over before-". He ignored it. He smelled his coffee as it brewed. He held it in his hands zoning out while his parents fighting echoed in the background. Soon he was immersed in his favorite daydreaming fantasy before his brother quickly snapped him out of it.

"Alona, Alona, Alona" Finally Maika snapped into reality. "Yeah?"

"Stop zoning out. I have to run a few errands. I need you to take the dog out" his brother's tone as usual and the norm was cold and uncaring.

"Fine" Maika sighed. Maika hated being called Alona. It was a name that was dead to him. He changed it for a reason. He still kept a name associated with his heritage and culture and even former religion but it wasn't going to be that one. Thankfully Jake and his family respected all aspects of his wishes. Maika wasn't in the mood to deal with his family today. He walked back into the living room. His brother's were watching t.v and it was dead silent outside of it.

"The lion quickly stalks its prey when" once again Maika did his best to ignore it. He turned on skype and received a message instantly.

[Dude I got so much to tell you! How soon can you come over?] Messages like this were routine for Jake to send to Maika. It was after all the nature of their relationship. This exact message must've been sent from Jake to Maika at least a dozen times. Maika was quick to leave despite his brother's protesting and was ordering a lyft to Jake's house instantly.

He arrived. It was getting late and he thought it best to talk with his friend about this whole 6flags thing. Sitting in Jake's living room Maika questioned him.

"Yeah um about that" Jake breathed.

"I needed it" Maika was surprised that this actually did happen and Janet wasn't just being a drama queen again. Janet was a compulsive liar. He wound't be surprised if she had made up something to make Jake look bad.