Chapter 10: Between the Lines

Jake Caloway had a divine birth. Irish, Jewish, and Cherokee ancestors. Even a weird skin tone situation regarding pigment when he went out in the sun that his Cherokee ancestors considered a blessing but some of his A#####, tribe ancestors considered a curse. Either way Jake Caloway was definitely strange. Though be him no doctor.

Jake had many revelations as of late. The biggest one was that the game was real and it wasn't a game. It was a war. To save this earth. But not just earth- everything. For everything was ending. While Marcarba claimed it was Jake's job to end it, every chess piece was aligning so that he could also save it at the same time. It always was. Everything for Jake was finally starting. Meeting his dead parent via necromancy, his friends in the mirror, gods who claimed him as their kin, it was starting to reach Jake. For better or we'll see, for worse.

One such reach was DJ Stroke who was one such person. When Jake was mad as a hatter he arranged to be born in an Egyption after life as royalty. A pharaoh. Two twin boys, one White (Jake), and one Black (DJ). Not being speaking terms and knowing what was in his mind, Jake chose his ex friend DJ for this task of rebirth in this pantheon. The gods told him he had to bring somebody.

Now I'm not going to tell you about the dreams. For around this time everyone was dreaming of Jake Caloway and writing prophecy of him. But what I will say is Jake and DJ had the same dream around the same time. This was that dream. DJ and Jake were never close but DJ had been on his mind as of late. Sometimes projecting into Jake's room. Astral projecting is a whole other can of worms. But basically he was there in spirit, and that's all you should worry your head for.

Jake had dealt with a lot of "imposter entities" pretending to be his ex friends. Or at least that was the go to theory. In honest Jake didn't know. He didn't know if the screams he gave were really at Maika or at something pretending to be Maika. He was told they were something known as "shadows" imposter spirits that worked as a sort of egregore on behalf of the soul they impersonate. A slave to your reflection. Fakers. Plain and simple. All and all it was rubbish in Jake's mind. Either way, Jake was dealing with ex friends, real or imagined and his familiars confirmed to him, that this really was DJ Stroke though Jake had his doubts.

"Here dude just come into my room?"

"Are you sure?" DJ asked as Jake flipped on a light opening the door.

"Yes it's fine. It is kind of a temple though" Jake ushered in leading the spirit of his former friend.

"Wow dude this place is a mess"

"Yes I'm messy...for religious reasons?"

"Okay whatever" Jake wasn't lying. In some Native and forgotten Mayan lore, you had to be messy to be spiritual. Jake often at this point was starting to lie again, but the thing was his lies were ties by a spider, an orb, and the fiction of reality. Jake Caloway true wasn't exactly a liar as imagined though he felt he was and was often seen it.

"Is it really you or is it another shadow?" Jake stared at the ghost of DJ visiting him.

"It's really fuking me"

"Okay. Welcome to my home. Gods DJ, DJ Gods" Jake gestured towards his altar. Which held an apple for a guardian spirits of his. That man always loved apples. Jake never did offerings, but it was a special occasion with that spirit. Being of the dead and having apples be his candy.

"Okay I just want to know- well a lot actually" even though it wasn't their first meeting,and certainly not like this, it hurt Jake that DJ was astral projecting in his home rather than adding him on Skype or Discord two chat apps at the time. Jake had blocked DJ, but that's another story for another day.