Chapter 5: Upsetti Spagetti

Eridan sat on the computer as Jake ranted about his former friendship with Maika. Having read Jake's diary, the one he wishes to publish someday, Erdian with their pretty curls asked one question.

"Why were you so attracted to this guy anyways?"

"I think mostly I was codependent."

"Ah yeah I get that I've been there"

"Yeah but I suffer from what I like to call "hyper empathy" I've always been like that, since I was a kid. But I think mainly what drew me to Maika, like what drew me to Lauren my neighbor who also disowned me, was that they both "lacked empathy" and I was really, really really" Jake emphasized the word. "Drawn to that. I've always been. I love people who lack what I have. I'm like a moth to flame for it"

"Huh it's weird that you say that because..." Eridan began to trail off.

"I'm exactly like that!" he smiled. A little bit embarrassed.

"Unlike Maika I don't know if I have a disorder or anything. And I do care about you. I like you alot! You're one of my best friends! And I know I'm certainly not "faking" my emotions, it never works that way for me. But because of the shit I've told you that I've gone through" he paused.

"I just sometimes really lack empathy!"

"Oh so that's why we're such good friends!" Jake smiled wide laughing.

"Yeah probably!"

"When we move in together we should bring your partner!"

"Yeah" Eridan smiled.

Eridan was nonbinary. They went by he him or they them. All queer people tended to group together, and Jake and Eridan were somewhat close.

"But about Maika-" Eridan paused.

"I'm gona say this once" Jake was ready for this. He knew people didn't like Maika. He always framed in it in a love struck manner. But people seemed to see through the cracks of this facade, and for whatever reason, they clung on to the little things that Maika did, and most of his friends at least at the time, grew to hate Maika Abend. Ross often joked that when he soon saw Maika, he would murder him or beat him up "On sight!" in a joking manner, and likewise though much more extreme, Jake said he would do the same, to anyone who has hurt Ross, though many more people have hurt Ross, and Jake deemed Maika, a very good person.

"I have grown to care about you." he paused. "And that means I love you." he said.

"And because I love you. I am very protective of the people I care about." he said, adjusting his rounded spherical glasses.

"I don't like Maika. I know you talk about him like you love him and I know you really want to see him again. But he hurt you, and I love you, and I am protective of you, so if he hurts you again I will hurt him" there was a pause between Jake and Eridan. Jake laughed.

"Yeah" Jake whined.

"I get that alot." Jake paused. "But I still love him though!"

Eridan sighed heavily.

Eventually the two got off the call.

Jake spent the evening helping Ross with his parasite problem. Ross to went to help with mutual friends believing himself under a curse, confirmed to him by the Goddess Venus, who had been very sexual and Jake had channeled her for Ross to communicate with. But overall, Jake and Ross went to their mutual friend for help and their friend turned them away, showing skepticism, something he had shown Jake before.