Langa

I'm not too sure? C'mon Langa, this is Reki you're talking to. He knows you well, better than yourself sometimes. Get it together. Why lie to him? Of everyone in the world, you're lying to him?

He looked a bit disappointed by my answer, and I couldn't blame him. I was no good at hiding my emotions, and Reki especially could read me like an open book. I felt guilty keeping things from him. I wanted to just spill my guts, but couldn't stand the thought of what would come after. If he really knew how I felt, there's no way he'd ever look at me, talk to me, or treat me the same. That was something I couldn't bear.

For a second, I considered telling him anyway. I started to open my mouth, shutting it immediately.

"O-kay," he said, raising an eyebrow and dropping his shoulders.

"Girls! Reki! Dinner!" Called a woman from elsewhere in the house.

"Coming!" Reki replied, jumping to his feet and turning to face me. "Hope you're hungry!"

-

"My mom's an awesome cook, and she always makes too much, so there should be plenty to eat." He opened the door, waiting for me to get up. I unwrapped myself from the comforter, pausing for a second to look at it, and then him. I smiled, face reddening. His eyes widened, cheeks flushing, and he put a hand on the back of his neck, looking away shyly.

I walked over to him, letting him lead me through the house and to the dining room. Suddenly, he grabbed my arm, pulling me toward him and out of the way just as his sisters came tearing down the hall and past us to their spots at the table.

"Girls! You almost knocked over our guest!" Their mother scolded. "Apologize right now please."

"Sorry, mister," they said in unison. I gave a small smile.

"No worries," I said, fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

"Uh, Langa, this is my mom," Reki said, gesturing at her, "Mom, Langa." I bowed. She came up to me, taking one of my hands in hers.

"Please, call me Masae, dear. Welcome to our home, I hope Reki has made you feel comfortable."

"Oh, yes, of course, thank you," I said.

"Come, come, sit down and eat, there's lots to go around."

Reki pulled on my sleeve, leading me around the table to two empty places. We took our seats. I looked around as everyone placed their hands together, and said thank you for the meal. Just as I was about to start digging in, I glanced up to see two pairs of wide eyes studying me intently. Their mouths were already stuffed full of food, and they were continuing to eat without even looking at their meal, full attention on me. I smiled awkwardly, waving a little. They giggled at me. My heart swelled with happiness.

"Girls! Don't stare, it's rude." Masae said. 

"Oh, it's alright," I beamed at her, "I don't mind."

"So Langa, you must have little siblings then," she chuckled.

"No, I wish. It's just me, but I have younger cousins, and whenever something new comes around they like to watch it as closely as possible." I grinned at the two girls.

"You should play with us after dinner!" One of them said.

"Knock it off, he's hanging out with me!" Reki reprimanded them, receiving glares and two small tongues stuck out at him. He mirrored them.

"Reki-" I said.

"-whatever you're gonna say, don't fall into their trap, you'll never make it out again," he said.