Reki

Fresh air, that's what I need.

As soon as I stepped outside and took a deep breath of the cool breeze my anxiety started to slip away. Ever since Langa had been acting strange around the other guys earlier that day I had been slightly on edge. When I was on edge, there was only one place I could go to unwind.

I started off down the street, Langa following close behind. I knew he'd figure out where we were off to fairly quickly, even if it had been a while since we were last there.

Wow, we haven't been to the skate park in ages. How long has it been? I guess since right after the first S Langa skated in. That seems like so long ago now. I wonder just how much he's changed?

We arrived at the park, and I fell into my usual routine. There was hardly anyone else around, most of the skaters heading off as the sun started setting.

Perfect.

I made my way around the different ramps and rails, smiling and shooting a thumbs-up at Langa every now and again, receiving claps. I tried waving him over to join me, but he didn't seem to notice. I skated around for a few more minutes, attempting to coax him out of his shell and join me, yet nothing I did seemed to be working.

Weird, what's that about?

I made my way over to him, asking him why he wasn't practicing with me. He paused for a moment, looking uncertain, then told me he likes to watch.

No, I know you love skating more than watching someone else.

"Plus, I haven't actually practiced in a park since you were teaching me, only at S."

I looked around, checking to see if there were any stragglers still milling around. We were all alone.

"I mean, now is as good a time as any to start." I said, holding my hand out for him. He accepted, and I hoisted him to his feet, nodding at his board. He told me he doesn't know how to compared to me, and I scoffed at him.

Don't say that, you know it's not true. I have been there since the beginning, I've seen you skate. There is nothing in this world that is beyond your reach.

"Fine, I'll prove it." He started off towards a rail across the park. I closely watched how me was setting himself up compared to how he would at S.

What's with that posture? He seems so tense. Weird. I must just be imagining it.

He landed on his back with a thud.

Or not.

I tried my best not to laugh, but I couldn't help it.

"So you really can't skate outside S," I said, jogging over to him. He sat up, hand on the back of his head, and explained how he gets nervous when he has too many things to think about, and how S provides a crutch for all the things he's lacking.

It's that big of a difference for him? Huh, I never thought it would change the way that someone skates that much. Then again, he is still a rookie skater when it comes down to it.

"Hm," I grumbled out, pinching my lower lip.

He needs to adjust his stance and shift his weight. He's used to keeping consistent with moving downhill.

"Stand up." I said, pulling him to his feet once again. I waved for him to get on his board. He complied, standing rather awkwardly. I circled around him, scanning him from head to toe, trying to figure out where the imbalance was. I came back around to face him. "Try standing more like this," I posed the way I wanted him to stand. He tried to mirror me, but it still wasn't quite right, like he was holding back. I stepped forward to grab his shoulders and adjust how he was standing.