Act 1: A New Era Begins

Scene 1:

It's been 19 years. Right now, it's a late afternoon, in late August, in the year 2047. Not much has changed when it comes to technology, or lifestyle. But Corey and Catrina grew up. Corey is now 25, and Catrina is 24. They still live in Australia, and due to some financial troubles, they had to move back in to their parents' house, temporarily. Right now, Corey just came home, after a really dull day at his office job. He goes to the living room, where he finds his parents, Noah and Saskia, sitting on the couch.

Corey: (opens the fridge, and grabs a juice bottle) Hey mom. Hey dad.

Saskia: Oh, hi son!

Noah: How's it going, champ?

Corey: Just yet another boring day, at a boring job.

Noah: It can't be that bad.

Corey: Being stuck in a cubicle, having to wear a suit and a tie, and slowly dying inside, as the hours go by. Yep, that bad.

Saskia: You chose that job.

Corey: Well, it's not like I had much better options.

Noah: Whatever. Let's not discuss this now. It's supposed to be a happy day. 

Saskia: That's right. We're having Clive, and his family over, for a barbecue... That reminds me, we gotta go downstairs, and see if the grill is working properly.

Noah: Oh, that's right... We'll be right back, champ.

[Noah and Saskia go downstairs]

Corey: (takes a huge sip of juice, and starts mocking Noah) "Oh, let's not discuss it today." They don't even pretend to care, anymore.

[He then hears a loud noise, of someone aggressively opening the door, with anger]

Corey: And Catrina is here.

[Catrina shows up, completely mad, having just come back from her job at a fast-food restaurant]

Corey: Hey, how's my little...

Catrina: (fuming) Don't!

Corey: Jeez. What happened to you this time? Slipped on ice-cream again?

Catrina: Worse! Much worse! A costumer choked on his fries, and spit them all over me. Can my life get any worse?

Corey: Damn. That sounds disgusting.

Catrina: It feels even more disgusting than it sounds... And now I have to put on a happy face, because mom and dad will throw a tantrum, if we don't show up to their barbecue, with Clive's family.

Corey: Ugh, don't even get me started on that... Do you ever feel like they don't care?

Catrina: Yeah, they definitely don't care about us, or our struggles. They just want us to show up, and look normal at their barbecue. When did things get so fucked up?

Corey: After high school.

Catrina: Well, you're lucky to have gone all the way through. I would have never quit, if I knew I'd end up like this.

Corey: You think my life is better? Everyday, in that office, it feels like I'm dying a slow death. Plus, to make it even more joyful, there's the fact that I don't have any fucking friends, nor social life. How great is that?

Catrina: I don't have a social life either... We're both screwed. This is gonna be our life, for the rest of eternity.

Corey: (evil grin) If only there was something we could do.