Act 8: Valentine's Day

Scene 1:

Almost a month has passed, and things remained pretty much the same for Catrina, who still couldn't get a date with Gerard, due to his mom's interference. Right now, it's February 13th, in the late afternoon. Mrs. Laney is in the mall, closing her shop. Catrina shows up, in an attempt to change her mind.

Catrina: Mrs. Laney?

Mrs. Laney: (turns around) Oh, hello dear. Can I help you? It has to be quick, I'm closing the shop.

Catrina: Actually, I didn't come here for the shop.

Mrs. Laney: Oh, okay. Then, how can I help you?

Catrina: I wanted to ask your son to have dinner with me, tomorrow.

Mrs. Laney: (surprised) Wow... I'm sorry, but that's not possible, darling.

Catrina: ... Okay. With all due respect, Mrs. Laney, I ask you to reconsider.

Mrs. Laney: ... Look, Catrina, it can't happen.

Catrina: (passive-aggressive) Why not? You can't hold him back forever! He's not your baby anymore. 

Mrs. Laney: Catrina, listen...

Catrina: (interrupting her) No, you listen. I know you're probably religious, or maybe you just want to protect your son, but this can't happen. He's 18. He's an adult. 

Mrs. Laney: That's not what's going on, at all.

Catrina: Then what is going on?

Mrs. Laney: Look, the reason why I don't want my son to get a girlfriend, has nothing to do with that. It's not for Gerard's own good. It's for the girl's own good.

Catrina: What? What does that even mean?

Mrs. Laney: Things are more complicated than you think.

Catrina: Is your son a cheater?

Mrs. Laney: Of course not.

Catrina: Does your son sleep with girls, and never calls them again?

Mrs. Laney: No. My son is religious, and you know it.

Catrina: Then what is the problem, exactly? Why can't he go on a date?

Mrs. Laney: ... (sigh) You know what? Fine. You take him out on a date... Just don't come crying back to me, when you find out the truth.

Catrina: Wow. Thanks, I guess. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Scene 2: 

It's the next day. Catrina and Sam are already at school, and are now having a conversation about Valentine's Day, in the lockers.

Sam: I can't believe it. You actually convinced his mom, to let you two have a date.

Catrina: Yep. I did it. Although his mom said some weird stuff, I'm not sure what she meant.

Sam: What did she say?

Catrina: I don't know, something about this being for the girl's protection, and not Gerard, and that I'm gonna find out some kind of truth that I shouldn't.

Sam: Maybe Gerard has a terrible secret. 

Catrina: Maybe he's a spy.

Sam: Maybe he's also an adult passing as a high school student.

Catrina: That would be the dream.

Sam: Yeah, for you it would... And guess who else has a date?