Moo Shu To Go

Alec hadn't spoken to anyone the whole journey back to the institute and he quickly left everyone alone, rushing to bed earlier than he usually would just to avoid 'that conversation.'

Brooklyn wasn't so lucky as to escape Jace's questions.

'Do you know what that was about?'

'Mhm? What?' Pretending to be busy putting her weapons away Brooklyn played dumb.

'Alec. Why were you his memory?' Jace's stare burned through the back of her skull.

Surely he could've been having this conversation with Alec, since it was his memory.

'I don't know Jace.' Putting her daggers away was taking twice as long tonight, she didn't even want to look in Jace's eyes.

'Is there something going on with you two that I don't know about?' Jumping to conclusions Jace's voice began to rise a little with the thought of being lied to.

'No Jace. Don't be ridiculous. He loves us all equally, I was probably just the first thought because he held hands with me first.' Fumbling around for an excuse Jace seemed to buy it, and Brooklyn continued to convince herself that this was the most likely reasoning.

'Well who would yours be then?' Curiosity laced in his voice, Brooklyn couldn't believe he was even asking.

'You of course Jace, you're not just my brother, you're my twin. We were in the womb together. You can't get any closer than that.' Brook turned sentimental. 'I'm sure yours would now be Clary.' She joked but really there was some seriousness behind the laugh.

'Of course it wouldn't. I'd give up the world for you Boo.' Without a chuckle or even a smirk Jace reassured the girl.

But Brooklyn wasn't even too sure about her own memories. Surely it would be Jace? But what if hers was Alec too? When it happened, Alec looked just as surprised as the others, he was clearly anticipating his sisters face in the wind.

Walking past Clary's room a short while after e conversation Brooklyn was heading for her own.

'And he spoke to you?' She heard Jace talking to Clary.

Peeking in the open doors Brook could see Jace holding up Clary's necklace. She always wore it, said it was from her mother.

'He said my name, he said "your mother for the cup".' Explained Clary.

In that moment Alec also walked up to where Brooklyn was stood listening. He looked intensely at her for a few seconds before letting himself into the room without a word to Brook.

'Who said that?'

'Valentine.' Both Clary and Jace responded as Brooklyn too invited herself in.

'He's with my mother.' Clary's voice was high in worry.

'He can speak to you through the necklace?' Asked Brook. 'Here, in the institute?

'It's like when I saw Dot.'

'It's a portal Shard.' Jace came to the realisation. 'That's why your mother made sure you had it.'

'All I know is what I saw... my mother is alive. She's unconscious, but alive.'

Brooklyn was actually relieved for Clary, it must of been such a weight lifted of her shoulders to know her mother was at least still breathing.

'Where are they?' Alec asked rather seriously.

'I don't know.' Stammered Clary.

'But you said you saw them.' Alec spoke with no emotion. 'Were there any identifying characteristics?
Equipment, weapons, photographs?'