Chapter 6: Shinigami

~ Light's POV ~

After L stormed off, Light remained alone, eyes and mouth wide open in astonishment from the words that had smoothly rushed out of his own lips.

What was I even thinking?! My girlfriend has just died, and I've told someone else I loved him? Is he going to assume that I did it to disprove that I'm Kira, making me more of a suspect?

"Nice going Light," snickered Kira.

Suddenly, Rem appeared out of nowhere, looking daggers at him. "Light Yagami," she boomed, causing Light to jump in his seat. "Is it true? Is Misa...dead? Or was this an act to help save Misa somehow?" she demanded.

Light gulped. He had planned to break the news and talk to her separately since he knew full well that she would blame him, but the unanticipated change of events had led to complications in his plan.

"Rem, there's no easy way to say this. Misa has... committed suicide," he said apprehensively.

She gasped loudly. "You have failed her." Her whole body shook as she seethed in anger and sorrow, all at once. "Then it is time you met whatever is between heaven and hell", she said, bending down to grab her Death Note.

"WAIT!" he cried. "She left you a note for you, too. Read it and then make your judgement...for Misa," he added, as he promptly took it out from his right pocket and handed it to her, hoping that she'd accept it.

Rem paused and, although bent, still towered over him. She lifted her head slowly and peered at his face. Many vocabulary experts would perhaps attempt to illustrate Rem's expression. However, no words could possibly begin to describe the blend of rage, grief, desperation and, worst of all, the helplessness that had taken over that ghastly face. Yet, she snatched the note from his grasp, opened it and began reading.

Light saw her expression shift with each paragraph and at the end, sparkling dust was trickling out of her uncovered eye. Is she...crying? I never knew that Shinigami could cry.

"There was no way that I could have prevented this. We met just yesterday. Please, I loved her," he begged.

"Sure you did," said Kira.

"Do you ever say anything useful?" hissed Light.

"Light Yagami," she began, her face still drowned in despair. Knowing that the rest of the sentence would determine his fate, the tips of Light's fingers pulsed at the same rushed rhythm of his heartbeat.

"I wish to be released from this despicable world," she continued.

Relief washed over Light, which he found hard not to reveal. He had anticipated her request and had even prepared a plan. Yet, he could never have foreseen the caused apprehension from the events which led up to it.

"As you wish," he replied, still trying to contain himself. "I may have an idea for you to do so without causing too many issues."

And so, he told the shinigami that was about to be the end of him two minutes earlier what he had in mind.

The main hall was eerily quiet, and Light felt lonely without L. He wasn't exactly the most talkative person in the world but nevertheless, having someone beside him was better than sitting alone in that gigantic hall. As he sat there, pretending to be busy, he recalled those wholesome few weeks chained to L and felt sentimental.

He remembered how adorable L looked when he slept, the few hours he did. Light would try fighting off his sleepiness to sneak peeks at him and smile almost foolishly when he would finally catch L dozing off.

On one of the many nights which he failed to remain awake for long enough, he had dreamt that they were kissing softly; a frequent fantasy of his. The pair of hands around his waist and silky feel of L's hair between his fingers felt painstakingly authentic. The atmosphere was comforting and serene, yet fabricated. He couldn't possibly make himself believe his own delusions.

But when a single peck on his left cheek felt undeniably real, he woke up, hoping against all hope. Heartbroken, he later went back to sleep.

"Yuck. Why don't you give me full control again? You'd never repeat such foolish mistakes. I'd even deal with L for you," cajoled Kira.

Ignoring the coaxing, he also remembered how angry L seemed when he had thundered off that day. I'm an idiot. L is so pure and sweet. He deserves better, he thought, holding back tears.

A spark of hope ignited inside of him as he heard footsteps drumming loudly on the marble tiles of the corridor outside. Could it be him? Is he coming back to tell me he loves me?