Chapter 17: Hilarious

~ Ryuk's POV ~

"Ew. Light did you forget that I'm here?" Ryuk tried to call through their smooch. Finally, they broke the kiss, causing a veil of awkwardness to fall upon them. "Answer me!" the shinigami shouted, to no reply. Feeling disgusted, he dematerialised through the wall and materialised outside, on the tennis court's side.

Humans are ...what's the word they use here? Yes, hilarious. Them and their petty relationships.

Why are they always a bundle of nerves when they're around each other? They can't even tell when their 'other half' likes them. Heh. Staring and smiling at each other like lunatics; I can't believe that it took them this long.

Well, not that I'm not complaining about that, I wish they never did.

Still able to hear their kissing, he moved away and headed towards a nearby house.

I can't believe that Light had a girlfriend a couple of weeks ago, who he killed, and he's already snogging another guy. Quite the playboy my Light. Heh.

Well, at least things are better than with Misa, that boring idiot. I was just about to kill her, but Light had the decency to do it for me. How could he have put me with her in the first place? No number of apples could have ever been enough for me to deal with her. She tried to put MAKEUP on me. MAKEUP!

Although I have to admit, Misa's death was planned out really well. Seeing her jump out of the window was unexpected, but I obviously didn't do anything. I was just glad to finally leave alongside Light.

I don't have much to complain about him, he's given me all the apples he owed me when I had to deal with Rem. Although, they could have been a little juicier.

After Light had shown up with yet another batch of Red 'Delicious', Ryuk had sworn that the next batch of this grainy, tasteless stuff would be the last Light would ever carry. Then again, it was all a bluff as Light was imperative for him to obtain his daily fix of apples. About a month ago, Ryuk had attempted to raid a supermarket at night but had failed miserably. Mindless of anything else but the delicious prize in front of him, it had slipped his mind that levitating apples could trigger a chain of alarms. Suffice to say, the viral video of 'The flying apple' had not sat well with Light, who had called him irresponsible and careless.

"Ha! I'm careless? At least I'm not the one wanting to shag my captor every ten seconds," sneered Ryuk. Light froze, a deep flush threatening to obscure his cheeks.

I wonder what Light will do about L. Having the nerve to ask me if he could erase names from the Death Note – of course he can't! Even if he had the page, it's perfectly stated in the Death Note rule that "the time and condition of death can be changed, but once the victim's name has been written, the individual's death can never be avoided." And don't even get me started on the 'Death Eraser' – it's just a myth invented by humans and Shinigami who, for some reason, regret their choices.

With a sigh, Ryuk entered the magnolia-painted house he had been trudging towards in an attempt to ease his boredom.

This is getting boring. Wait, this is the kitchen. Are those...APPLES?!?

***

A/N: I feel bad for the short chapter (credits to my exams), so here's a bonus side note:

A mellow elderly woman named Yukiko, shuffled to her kitchen for her evening tea. A few inches past her door frame, she stopped and squinted, meticulously readjusting her thick glasses that had slid down her nose. Being heavily visually impaired, she would frequently fail to fully comprehend the details of her surroundings. But in her 92 years, even when her eyes had been in their prime, she had never seen anything remotely similar to the half-eaten apple that was casually levitating over her kitchen table (naturally, it was Ryuk). She gasped and attempted to rush forward as fast as her arthritis-ridden legs allowed her to.

"HIKARU, IS THAT YOU?" she croaked, calling out to her late husband. His grave had gone cold 4 months ago, but his death was still an oozing slash along her weak heart.

The apple froze in mid-air. She fumbled, "Is this really- is this a sign you're here with me?"

No answer. A bite seemed to have been taken out of the apple.

"How...why are you-?"

A million questions went through her mind but she couldn't manage to voice any of them.

"I miss you so much," she said, eyes pooling with tears.

Suddenly, she collapsed, clutching her chest. But there was no fear involved in the heart attack that consumed her existence. She knew this meant she would be meeting him again soon.

No one questioned the rotting apple core that lay beside her corpse.

1 comment or vote = 1 prayer.