Chapter 18: Fallen

~ Light's POV ~

He dreamt that he was soaring as a god high above them all, gleefully and carefree. A gentle wind was puffing at his face, delicately fluttering the sable black feathers that coated the huge outstretched wings attached to his back. From up there, he proudly looked at the world that he had made; a perfect planet, only populated with kind, hard-working people, who he had chosen and judged himself. This new world was pure and free from evil, just as he had envisioned.

Suddenly, a navy-blue eagle gripped onto his left leg. Light hadn't felt its curved, razor-sharp talons tearing into him due to his state of euphoria, but the eagle was weighing him down, nonetheless. When he finally realised that he was being tilted to one side, he looked back and spotted the large bird grabbing onto him.

Attempting to set himself free from its grasp, he twisted to touch it and immediately recognised this clear mistake. Before he could react, his left-wing was swept underneath, and he was spinning and twisting in mid-air. As he observed the buildings getting closer and closer, his perfect world dashed in and out of vision until everything became a blur.

Just before impact, Light woke with a start when he felt a sharp nudge at his shoulder.

L explained, "You were whimpering and flailing. There was a 98% chance that it was caused by a nightmare and a 78% chance that it was about you falling."

With a pounding heart and shaky, shallow breaths, he felt around his trembling body but found no wings or gashes. It was only a dream.

"Yes L, it was."

Without even having to ask, L pulled him in for a hug. Light, who showed no opposition to this, gripped onto his shirt and cocooned himself in L's soothing warmth. His scent, his touch and the way the detective's soft black hair tickled the back of his neck instantly melted away Light's fears. To collect himself further, the teen replayed the events of the day before, up until the point when they collapsed contentedly onto the bed and slept peacefully hand in hand. In hindsight, it all seemed to be an imaginary dream - the game, the atmosphere and obviously, the kiss.

Although the tennis matches had been hectic, he most definitely couldn't call them the highlight of the day. Light's 'accidental' slip-ups – the losses and the fall – had all been an attempt for L to enjoy himself and etch a broad smile on his face. In doing so, Light had gone against his own competitive nature, but seeing L laugh wholeheartedly was worth a hundred blows to his head.

Light had also loved entwining his shaky hands in the unruly pitch-black hair that tumbled over his face. Each lock partially concealed his dark eyes; two chunks of polished obsidian through which he could glimpse at a serene night sky, lit up with clusters of blazing stars. L's little quirks - the way he sat, the nibbling of his thumb whenever he was nervous and even the way he held items that were presented to him – had become a norm to Light.

Maybe we'll kiss again today, he thought giddily.

Unwillingly, the couple pulled away. "Good morning Light," said L, before leaning in to lay a peck on his lips.

***

Working side by side had never been smoother. Knowing Light would be more affectionate in the absence of the other detectives, L had come up with some excuse for the pair to work alone. In between the frequent breaks of cuddling and kissing, they had been very productive. Or at least, in L's eyes. Light knew that no matter how tirelessly they worked, none of the evidence they found would point to him.

L sat in his usual peculiar position, eyes fixed on his screen with his thumb secured between his teeth. He seemed oblivious to the storm brewing in Light's mind.

Does he nibble his thumb to release the anxiety that Kira...I have caused him? Is his back hunched because of the name (or names) he must carry? Ryuzaki, L, Hideki Ryuga? Are all his other traits simply a means of comfort or defence, for he is only human?

I AM KIRA! I shouldn't care about my nemesis!

I'm only pretending to love L...this is all part of my plan, right? That way, I won't be a suspect when he dies, he thought, in a wild attempt to make himself believe this palpable lie. He discreetly wiped at his eyes, fighting to stifle his tears.

"Is everything ok Light?" whispered L, leaning in closer.

Light hesitated, lowering his head and twisting the handcuff around his wrist. "Is there anything I can do to disprove that I am Kira?"

"Hmm. I guess I could ask a few questions..."

***

A/N

Good news! I'm back to one chapter a week.

Thank you all so much for the comments and votes!