prologue

I cleaned my mouth with the palm of my hand as I swallowed the sticky substance. A hefty hand patted my head "good girl" the man's husky voice. I nod slowly "p-pay" I say sitting up. The man reaches into his pocket and pulls out wrinkled up bills. He gets back on his feet and zips up his pants. As he leaves he throws the money on the floor "see ya".

As he closed the door behind him I felt a tug on my stomach. I looked for the nearest trash bin. I rushed to the window of the motel room and allowed the vomit to gush out. My eyes watered, my throat felt as if on fire.

I gasped for air as i walked out the poorly lit room. My stilettos clicked against the concrete sidewalk as I made my way back to my usual spot. The other girls were chatting away, laughing at dumb jokes. I leaned against the brick wall that belonged to some kind of corner store. I inhaled the smell of cigarette and cheap perfume "so this is life" I heard a voice say. My head snapped to the direction of the voice.

It was a woman. Older than I, about in her 30s. She wore fitshnets with a blue jean skirt, a red tank top hung to her skinny body. Her blonde hair tied in a messy bun. I nodded "one moment you're living happily with ya parents, not a care in the world...next thinga ya know you're doing things for men just to get by" she says taking a puff of her cigarette "yeah that's life for ya...a big pain in my ass. Not to mention when it drags girls like you here" she says pointing the lipstick stained butt of the cigarette at me. I blush and look at the ground "yeah...you ain't got no business here lil girl, you're too pretty...too smart to be here in these streets with hags like me" she says with a chuckle.

I look back at her "you ain't the talkative type is ya?" I shake my head "well, just listen then, I hope that you get off these streets. Me? Too late for me, but you, you have a chance at beating this. You seem smart enough, get ya shit together " she says giving an eye closed smile. Her eyelids covered in navy blue eyeshadow. I smile softly "well, this is me"she says throwing the rest of her cig on the floor and putting it out with her foot. She walks over to a car that has its window rolled down.

I sigh and pull out my phone to check the time. Its a quarter past twelve. Time to go home. As I'm about to call for a taxi I see a face. It seemed familiar yet I don't know anyone who looks like that. He's accross the street, holding a paper bag. Must be walking home from the store.

He was pale with jet black hair that was pretty long. It seemed to stand up at the back. His eyes the deepest of any black I've seen. We made eye contact for a few seconds before he frowned and turned away. He's obviously repulsed by me, but what can I do?

I am a disaster on two feet.